- You may want to check out the music of Michel Delville.
- Richard Anderson: “You guys introduced me to this man. Worth checking out and maybe the KUR readership might be interested too – especially the Webern inspired Curfews and Cigars”.
- Mosae Zappa, coming May 6 & 7 from Maastricht, Holland
- Another addition to the Zappanale 2011 line-up has been announced: Essra Mohawk!
- More Thunes Transcripts (from various OSFA, OS and R&E tunes), courtesy of Stewart Cable (previously)
- Did you know of the ZappaCast podcast? Now you do.
- From Fredrik Larsson: “a tasty little sucker from 1968, Swedish public radio, get it while it´s hot (and before it´s not)”.
Herr Thomas, head cheese over at Zappanale, just announced this year’s headliner (drum roll):
Yes, that would be Eddie Jobson!
Who IS The REAL Frank Zappa, Anyway?
Sometimes I am quite delighted to discover a fan-made Frank Zappa video like the one posted above. It reinforces my belief that the future of FZ’s public image is in the right hands: creative, open-minded, technology embracing hands. This is how I always envisioned Zappa’s legacy being spread.
Continue reading “Who IS The REAL Frank Zappa, Anyway?”
KUR’s 2nd Annual Virtual Zappanale Mix
Welcome to KUR’s 2nd Annual Virtual Zappanale Mix for August 2010. For those of us who cannot make it to this year’s festival in Bad Doberan, I have compiled an eclectic mix of some of my favorite FZ covers by well known alumni – and some other not so well known. On this virtual stage, time and space does not matter as acts appear fresh from 1969, while others are temporarily brought back from the hereafter for just one more kick at the can, so to speak, all together in one mix. Of course, I’d love to be there in Bad Doberan, and perhaps I will go there one day, myself. Until then, enjoy the music of the maestro. And the spirit of the Mothers…
Click here to listen to the mixtape.
Note: my sincerest appreciation and thanks to Andrew Greenaway and MagicFingers for their assistance in the compiling of this mixtape.
Zappanale #21: Zappa & The GDR Exhibit
Zappanale 21 – ZAPPATiKA!
ZAPPATiKA! is a British-born Frank Zappa tribute band of international musicians who presently live near Amsterdam, Holland, that tour all over Europe playing their own original and very alternative music to live audiences, sometimes performing Frank Zappa tribute shows. Formed in the late 1990s by Keltik minstrel McINNES and bionic Indo-Dutch drummer BATTATUTTI – their intention was to perform Frank Zappa’s music and further develop and further modernize certain concepts and rhythmic and melodic principles contained in Zappa’s enormous catalogue of compositions as well as their own original compositions.
Continue reading “Zappanale 21 – ZAPPATiKA!”
Remember a certain lawsuit issued by a certain dead rockstar‘s widow against a certain fan-organized tribute festival? As it turns out, said widow just lost the appeal. Robert who mailed in the story, says:
Sorry, currently only available in german. But the message is simple: GZ had appealed against the negative decision from some time ago, this appeal has now been denied, which completes the lawsuit in favor of Zappanale.
From my understanding, the Zappanale festival even retains the right to use FZ’s trademark imperial in its promotional material.
Tunes, Treats & Torrents – The Muffin Men
Anyone who has followed my posts knows that I’m a avid downloader of torrents from Zappateers (and a fantastic bunch of freaks they are – I tip my hat to them for all the excellent Zappa torrents I’ve downloaded through the years). That said, I am also an avid collector of many exceptional Zappa tribute bands (far too numerous to name here, though). Periodically, though, I come across a particular group of musicians that I feel I just have to share. For that purpose, I’ve begun an irregular series entitled, “Tunes, Treats & Torrents” to highlight these groups and their exceptional covers of Zappa compositions.
The first of those bands in this series are The Muffin Men, an incredible group of musicians from Liverpool, UK. When I recently downloaded a torrent of an excerpt of their Kirchheim Tech, Germany show on April 24th, 1993 featuring guests Don Preston, Bunk Gardner, and Jimmy Carl Black I knew I had to share it (especially since live recordings of Bunk Gardner are so incredibly rare anyway). Give these covers a listen and decide what you think:
King Kong – The Muffin Men (Kirchheim Teck, Germany, 24 Apr 1993)
[audio:20100331_01 King Kong.mp3]
Don Whanks It Out – The Muffin Men (Kirchheim Teck, Germany, 24 Apr 1993)
[audio:20100331_02 Don Whanks It Out.mp3]
Son of Mr Green Genes – The Muffin Men (Kirchheim Teck, Germany, 24 Apr 1993)
[audio:20100331_03 Son Of Mr Green Genes.mp3]
Willie the Pimp – The Muffin Men (Kirchheim Teck, Germany, 24 Apr 1993)
[audio:20100331_04 Willie The Pimp.mp3]
The Muffin Men (circa Spring/Summer 1993):
Roddie Gilliard: guitar, vocals
Ian Jump: stunt guitar
Andy Jacobson: keyboard
Mike Kidson: sax, toys, vocals
Andy Frizell: bass, vocals
Steve Belger: drums
Download torrent from Zappateers here.
P.S. Denny Walley has confirmed he is joining The Muffin Men for their performance at Zappanale in August, 2010.
Panzerballett Blitzes Zappanale
Panzerballett is a German ensemble that uses “an innovative, hard ‘n’ heady mixture of jazz, funk and metal, crossing complex polyrhythms with metal guitar riffing, funky grooves and jazz improvisation”. In the clip above, from Zappanale 19, they perform a medley of Zappa songs including “Oh No”, “City of Tiny Lites”, and “Evelyn, A Modified Dog”. Check out their website to hear some their other musical works.
Continue reading “Panzerballett Blitzes Zappanale”
Return Of The Knick Knacks
Ha! There you were thinking this weblog was going down the drain. Silly you.
- News from Zappanale: Ike Willis and Bobby Martin will be part of the show again, Thomas is currently awaiting confirmation from Ray White.
- KUR reader Alex posts a layman’s introduction to FZ (my words) on his excellent review site.
- Check out Zappa Symphonies from The New Dutch Academy.
- Ween have a new/old release out entitled The Pod (caution: iTunes link).
- Which reminds me VaiTunes is back.
- Hit me over the head with a chicken and call me Betty but, by golly, The Leisure Society album The Sleeper is a thing of absolute, desolate, chilling beauty — Spotify link for the Spotify enabled.
- And finally… be sure to take the Coolness Test.