2 thoughts on “Easter Eggs”

  1. thanks for the warning…like porn spam, they’re inevitable.

    The turkey says, “SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!”

    Now if you thought the turkey said “Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!,” you obviously have not tried the newest offering under the SPAM brand. If you had, you’d know that it’s you who’ll “Gobble! Gobble! Gobble!” up the new SPAM Oven Roasted Turkey.

    SPAM Oven Roasted Turkey contains 100% white, lean turkey and is 100% delicious. And since we’re talking turkey, did you know that each individual serving contains only four grams of fat?

    So go ahead and get creative with new recipes for SPAM Oven Roasted Turkey. Who knows… perhaps you’ll discover so many delicious recipes that it’ll be you that gets stuffed. Gobble up a can today!

    Love, Bob.

  2. Annoying pop-up ads hard to kill

    By Leslie Walker

    The Washington Post

    September 23, 2002

    You might hope that pop-up ads go the way of Pets.com and other doomed dot-coms, six feet under in the Internet graveyard. But, alas, pop-ups appear destined to survive, because some advertisers say the darned things work.

    That doesn’t mean they’ll take over the Internet. Instead, they are likely to become online advertising’s equivalent of the cockroach, banished from the best Web sites but lurking in remote corners. Before that happens, though, Internet advertising needs to pull itself out of recession and find ad formats that entertain rather than irritate potential customers.

    Nothing better epitomizes the sorry state of Internet advertising than pop-ups and pop-unders, ad formats that annoy people by creating new browser windows either on top of or behind their main viewing windows. Many popular sites banned both forms in the early years of the Web, then reluctantly accepted them after the Internet bubble burst in 2000.

    But in recent months a backlash against pop-ups has been gaining momentum. America Online, an early adopter, began scaling back the number it showed some subscribers over the summer after a spate of negative publicity. Google, the top search engine, banned them. IVillage, the women’s online community, also eliminated pop-ups.

    The perception is that pop-ups are everywhere, thanks partly to the two advertisers that use the format the most, wireless-camera producer X10 Wireless Technology and travel agency Orbitz. The reality is somewhat different.

    A study released this month found that pop-ups account for 2 percent of Internet ad impressions. About 11.3 billion pop-up ads were launched in the first seven months of this year, according to Nielsen/NetRatings, which measures Internet audiences.

    Not only did pop-ups represent a mere fraction of the total online ad market, but just 63 advertisers were responsible for 80 percent of all pop-ups, the study found. The other 20 percent were bought by 2,145 advertisers, which meant fewer than 1 in 10 Internet advertisers bought any pop-ups at all.

    Charles Buchwalter, vice president at NetRatings, attributed the gap between perception and reality to the intensity of negative feelings that pop-ups evoke. In the long run, he predicted, those feelings will curb the ads, because mainstream advertisers won’t want to be associated with negativity.

    “In all forms of media, consumers ultimately win and get what they want,” Buchwalter said. He said he believes that more creative forms of interruptive advertising will emerge.

    The Web’s largest portals are experimenting aggressively with multimedia ad formats that use animation, video and sound. Rather than opening separate windows, the “rich media” ads typically dance, jiggle and wiggle directly on the pages that users view.

Comments are closed.