Greasy Love Songs: “Cruising With Ruben & The Jets” Vinyl Version Re-released

Email from the ZFT, christal clear and full of detail as usual (click to enlarge):

The blurb at Barfko Swill:

Yum & Cheap Thrills together at last. It’s 40+ years later for this Anniversary FZ AudioDocumentary in the project/object series. Cruise again with Ruben & The Jets playing all your favorite greasy love songs.

Pre-order at $21 a pop.

Update: This press-release has more info (thx Tim!):

Among additional tracks included are alternate mono mixes, an unreleased cover of “Valerie” which enjoyed heavy rotation in the Mothers’ concerts circa 1967 and a version of “Love of My Life” from Studio Z, bringing this CD from 40 minutes in the vinyl release to well over an hour of “the stuff of teen-age legend,” according to Gail Zappa’s text. “The thrall, the threnodies, the three and four part harmonies, the keys to the kingdom of sociological and panchromatic sexual edification.” The package, #3 in the FZ Audio Documentary Series, also contains Cheech Marin’s highly evocative liner notes recalling his 1968 audition for Zappa.

63 Responses to “Greasy Love Songs: “Cruising With Ruben & The Jets” Vinyl Version Re-released”

A quote from Birdman!:

Has anyone else received the E-mail from Barfko-Swill about the reuben reissue? No information whatsoever in it, but I thought it would merit some notice here. And yet strangely, it hasn’t.

A quote from Barry’s Imaginary Publisher:

A quote from Birdman!:

Has anyone else received the E-mail from Barfko-Swill about the reuben reissue?

Yes. No. Maybe so. As always, the ZFT is just so plum full of information to pass on. The gist: pre-order at $21. I’m just of the minority who likes to know exactly what it is I’m paying for. Track listings. Bonus tracks. That sort of thing.

2. Birdman! says:

“Dance You This!” indeed. The tablecloth in the ad does make me want some pizza.

3. tim says:

yeah, i got it & the 2nd thing i did was to check here & see if anybody else had any more info. of course the 1st thing i did was order it. i think it was about this time last year that gail &/or joe said it would be ready in a couple months. i been waiting too long to worry about what’s not on it. i think the most important information, “the original ’68 vinyl mix” is what anybody who wants this, wants this for(?) i haven’t been disappointed w/ mofo or lumpy money, so i’ll take a chance. life’s too short. i love this shit!

4. xorg says:

Us old farts think the 1968 mix of Ruben & The Jets is better than the CD re-issue for which FZ re-recorded the bass and drums. The point being that this music of cretin simplicity sounds better when it has the appropriate cruddy bass and drum parts. I’ve never understood why FZ tinkered with it, but there you go. Either way, as I’ve got the 1968 vinyl LP already, I too would like to know what else is on this new release!

5. peter says:

Same old smart ass shit from the Zappa Dorks. It’s a pre-order, silly limp dicks. Give it a rest.

6. Chuck says:

I love Ruben, but have had a lovely LP transfer for the last 12 years from a friends mint and beautiful vinyl copy. So I need some incentive to fork out the bucks. They are doing a good job on these reissues, but if the ZFT could just get this stuff into the racks at my local record at a realistic price then I would be snapping them up… love the impulse buy when you are actually holding something in your hands. Over the net at that price not knowing what it is the urge is just not there.

7. Tjodolf says:

I would have pre-ordered if the bonus tracks were the unreleased mono mix with fake 45 crackle. I’m probably going to buy this no matter what the bonus tracks are, but it’s nice to be certain.

The Stooges have released two mega-packages for pre-order this year; I pre-ordered both. Extremely expensive and the contents are pretty thin, but at least I know I’m being ripped off and exactly how badly I’m being ripped off.

8. Thinman says:

A quote from Chuck:

… but if the ZFT could just get this stuff into the racks at my local record at a realistic price then I would be snapping them up …

I would, too. How many copies do they sell when it comes to the latest posthumous releases? A few 1000s, or only a few 100s? I bet those items are uninteresting and to risky for any distributor nowadays.

Th.

9. tim says:

this just in from:

Another Anniversary Frank Zappa Audio Documentary project/object celebrating Zappa’s ‘Cruising With Ruben and The Jets.’ The Doo Wop and Pachuco references mark this as Zappa’s homage to the music and culture of his teenage world in 1950’s Southern California. Contains Original 1968 Vinyl Stereo Mix, Interviews and Related Rarities.

“This is an album of greasy love songs cretin simplicity,” says Zappa in the original liner notes for the album he produced in 1968. “We made it because we really like this kind of music (just a bunch of old men with rock and roll clothes on sitting around the studio mumbling about the good old days).” Joe Travers calls this release a “UMRK (Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) Boss First” – the original stereo mix, the original release.

‘Greasy Love Songs’ is due out May 1st on Zappa Records. Yes. The digipak is made from Metalyzed Polyester foil paper.

The Mothers of Invention per Frank Zappa’s original liner notes on ‘Cruising With Ruben and The Jets’:

Ray Collins: lead vocals
    Frank Zappa: low grumbles, oo-wah lead guitar
    Roy Estrada: high weazlings, dwaedy-doop electric bass
    Jimmy Carl Black and/or Arthur Dyer Tripp III: lewd pulsating rhythm
    Ian Underwood or Don Preston: redundant piano triplets
    Motorhead Sherwood: baritone sax tambourine
    Bunk Gardner and Ian Underwood: tenor alto saxes

10. Frank Zapplin says:

I love that Zappa.com and Barfko-Swill are releasing more Zappa music, but I wish they would post the track listing on the web page or mp3 samples. It’s hard to get psyched up to spend $21 on a CD these days when you don’t know what you’re getting. I understand “Cheap Thrills”, but what is “Yum”? Can anyone help out? Thanks!

11. tim says:

go to shorefire.com click on zappa family trust. i tried to post this 3 times can’t publish a copy & paste i guess, what?

A quote from tim:

Your comment had to be manually approved because of the link you provided. I’ve updated the post with the press release information — thanks!

13. tim says:

ok, thanks for the explanation. i’ll try to be more patient.

14. Paul Sempschi says:

A quote from Thinman:

Is that why Trout Mask Replica has been consistently inprint since 1970? Contrast this with the Zappa catalogue (the 93 masters) that have been sporadically out of print since the 70’s… blame it on distributors, but it comes down to the shenanigans by the rights holder (Frank included).

I would think that a market with dedicated (near religious) fanbase would be a tempting thing for a distributor to pick up on. There is no gamble, there is no need to generate new interest in the market. Really, they sell themselves…

Furthermore, as Chuck mentioned, there is no substitute for product on the shelf. An interested newbie should be able to walk into a music store and, maybe on a whim, pick up a random Zappa disc and go home and listen to it (yes, these things still happen in our post-torrent world) and see how they handle it.

NEW releases guarantee stock in shelves, while management will normally send back older stock (older releases) back to the distributor if not sold… this occurs with all bands, big and small… a strong distributor will help keep posthumous releases in the shelves so that newbies will always have product to discover.

Then they can bit torrent the rest of the catalogue 😉

15. Thinman says:

16. Clark Gwent says:

I would rather the purity of the original albums were maintained – it would cost pence to make the extra tracks an extra disk….typical pennypinching ZFT behaviour. I bet they won’t even let me part-ex my dodgy 80s remix copy!

PS WTF happened to “Absolutely Free”?
    An entirely instrumental version thereof would be lovely!

17. xorg says:

Oh dear. I just clicked on Thinman’s link to the Zappa Forum. This reminds me why I gave up the forum several years ago. Why are so many people so aggressive and abusive towards each other? And unnecessarily offensive? Relax. It’s only rock n’ roll! (otherwise known as ‘optional entertainment’)
    But to get back to the point – I still wish the ZFT would sign up to a deal with a regular record label (say Rhino, or Nonesuch) and let them get the product out there properly marketed and more easily available. With an injection of capital, the ZFT could speed up the rehabilitation of the material in The Vault and poor old Joe Travers wouldn’t have to do it all by himself. That way, this release might have been on schedule!

A quote from Clark Gwent:

PS WTF happened to “Absolutely Free”?
    An entirely instrumental version thereof would be lovely!

I’ve long since given up attempting to make sense of the behavior of the ZFT. If the old adage was ever true – “Give the people what they want” – the ZFT have completely disregarded it. Think about it, when was the last time the ZFT released something you could truly get excited about? They appear bent on the piecemeal repackaging – albeit incomplete – of Zappa’s catalogue. I fear by the time they actually start to release material I can actually get excited about, large blocks of the Zappa fanbase may very well have joined Frank on his last tour.

19. Danny says:

Does anybody here know the mechanics and/or the process of releasing a ZFT product? Does ZFT have complete control over content, packaging, artwork, licensing, etc? Who is their distributor? Who manufactures the CDs? Does Ryko still have rights to the original album issues?
    My thought is that if they had some kind of deal with Rhino or Nonesuch, perhaps they may not be as free to use their own methods like mastering or content choice. Gail & family gotta make a living, too. I am sure she doesn’t go out her way to make us fans pissed off. True, some of the choices have been puzzling to say the least- maybe the Joe’s Domage series should be cheaper as they are ‘fly on the wall’ type studies- but maybe it’s a helluva lot more complicated than we know to release this stuff.

20. Paul Sempschi says:

A quote from Danny:

AAAFANRAA = anywhere anytime and for absolutely no reason at all?

Which gives the impression that these posthumous releases are merely wreckless throw aways and spur of the moment deals.

I honestly doubt that there is much restricting the ZFT from releasing whatever it wants (aside from the 93 masters). They have released multiple mixes of the catalogue, as well as the complete Verve masters for FO + We’re Only in It For the Money (the mono and the Ryko 80’s mix).

And as far as distributors + disc manufacturers go, I doubt that they have any impact re: content… perhaps the pricing, which is another kettle of fish heads.

But if it is, like you say, a matter of Sloatman and Co. being restricted so that they can only release this sort of material, then that’s just another argument about why the tapes should be turned over to a larger company who can handle these complications, who can release material that’s not only wanted (Roxy etc.) but is also to guarantee high returns.

21. Rob says: