Revised Music for Marimba and Orchestra

From Simon Boyar:

We didn’t get the whole thing and its kind of wobbly but here is about 2/3 of The World Premiere (2/20/10) of Frank Zappa’s Revised Music for Marimba and Orchestra conducted by Jonathan Haas with The NYU Zappa Pickup Orchestra.

21 Responses to “Revised Music for Marimba and Orchestra”

1. Maroual says:

That’s pretty good, it’s just too bad there seems to be (at least) two mistakes: @2:15 and @4:38.

Imagine two elephants, each holding a mallet in it’s trunk, and you might get an approximation to what I have witnessed here. Perhaps if Simon Boyar was just a little less in love with himself and his own abilities, and a little more in love with Zappa’s composition, his “Revised Music for Marimba and Orchestra” with The NYU Zappa Pickup Orchestra wouldn’t remind me so much of Zappa compositions performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. That performance was just terrible, given a musician of his “so-called” stature. I’ve heard smaller quintets of little known musicians perform Zappa with more style and verve.

3. Thinman says:

I don’t have as much problems with the performance.

The problem here is: a marimba doesn’t sound good when you hit it that hard. Here it sounds more like a xylophone with that short and sharp attack. Frank solved this by applying pickups directly to the wood in the Ruth days to make this instrument useable in a live rock situation.

That reminds of how much I like everything that Ruth did. It always sounded smooth and easy, full and rich at the same time. I never get the same thrill when hearing Ed Mann or any other mallet player

Th.

4. Bálint says:

Yes, he beats it like the mallets were hammers. None of the lightness of Mrs Underwood.

A quote from Thinman:

I don’t have as much problems with the performance.

Th.

A quote from Bálint:

I think the whole problem here is the “superstar soloist” mentality. You get the distinct impression that Boyar is showing off his chops instead of playing with the rest of the assembled musicians. One keeps hearing about the “Boyar” method. What is that anyway? Beating the fuck out of the marimba? The more I hear it, the more I appreciate Ruth Underwood, and yes, even Ed Mann.

6. Thinman says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

… I think the whole problem here is the “superstar soloist” mentality. …

I have to admit that I had never heard of Boyar before. Belongs in the same category as people like Nigel Kennedy or so. Virtuosity for the circus.

Th.

7. exile says:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Comment could not be converted to string in /home/zappa/killuglyradio.com/wp-content/plugins/quoter.php on line 476