ZPZ Wins At The Grammys

Dweezil Zappa’s ZPZ band has won this year’s Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental Performance:

“Did you feel it? The world actually fell off its axis,” said Dweezil Zappa, accepting the award for best rock instrumental performance for “Peaches en Regalia,” fighting back tears as he thought of his late father, Frank. “He dedicated this song to me when I was born and I’m dedicating it right back.”

All bickering aside, I think this is a well-deserved award for a band that is outstanding in what they originally set out to do. Kudos to Dweez and the ZPZ players.

Update 13/02: Here’s what Zappa had to say about the Grammys and award shows in general (taken from a BBC1 Zappa Special radio interview):

(Thx Rick Wood)

117 Responses to “ZPZ Wins At The Grammys”

1. jane23 says:

Good for Dweezil; ZPZ and of course, especially, FRANK ZAPPA!!!

2. Bálint says:

I’d give them one for G-Spot and maybe Dog/Meat.

3. schmengy says:

I just heard a snippet on the Howard Stern show.
    Nice!

Quite frankly, Dweezil doesn’t deserve this award. It’s not his music. Where was the Grammy for “Peaches en Regalia” when Hot Rats was first released? What about the fantastic players who played on that first version (Shuggie Otis, etc)? And what about all the other great musicians who played on Frank Zappa’s other albums? The Grammy’s aren’t worth fucking shit, in my opinion. Too little. Too late. If they are going to award Dweezil for something, let it be for something original, not usurping something for which his father was already ignored by and for (The Grammy for best rock/jazz album: Hot Rats, 1969).

5. Chuck says:

I have to feel a bit cynical too… FZ had no respect for Grammy’s and what they stood for.. yet his family views it as important. This is why I guess FZ was who he was and his family is just another wealthy celebrity family.

6. George says:

With all that said, does anyone have a link for video of the band getting the award?

7. bit of an imposition says:

part four is up!

A quote from Chuck:

Indeed, as FZ once said in an interview, and I paraphrase, “you can’t live in this century and not be a cynic, not with people trying to sell you a turd wrapped in gold leaf…”

9. Kevin Hoover says:

Congratulations to Dweezil and all the members of the band for this achievement. They have worked hard and deserve it.

10. schmengy says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

Really?

Sure, the Grammys suck, and I don’t watch them,
    but I’ll admit to feeling a little bit vindicated when
    Frank won the Grammy for Jazz From Hell.

Now Frank’s music gets a little more attention.
    How horrible! Potentially a wider audience for FZ’s
    compositions? NO WAY!!!!!!

If you could, for TWO FUCKING SECONDS,
    let go of your purely contrarian bile against the ZFT
    this website would suck 98% less.
    Or not. Whatever.

11. Alex says:

Hopefully this will give Frank a wider audience.

I have never heard anything about this song being a dedication to Dweezil…but then again they say a lot of things that don’t make sense, like “composer’s intent.”

Regardless, there is a little bit of satisfaction that – a full generation later mind you – Zappa’s music is finally being accepted by the establishment that had once rejected him. No commercial potential, eh?

Also, better late than never. It’s a beautiful song and deserves to be placed on a pedestal. If I were to sum FZ up in one song it would be this one.

12. SOFA - Philostopher/Chef says:

Well, 98% of a 2% “Suck Factor” is rather small…
    But in regards to the award:
    I feel it has been earned (as I would say for any other polished symphony playing some other dead guy’s music) – and I congratulate ZPZ for the acknowledgment;
    Frank disdained award shows – he always said he did it for himself, not for any accolades – and the Trust’s (Dweezil’s) “embracing” of the honor is quite telling;
    That it is good PR for FZ’s music is undeniable.
    So, good for ZPZ!
    I can only FZ-vangelicize to so many – that kinda press is global.
    C’mon, ug – crack a smile for Uncle Frank, will ya?

13. amicus says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

Quite frankly, Dweezil doesn’t deserve this award. It’s not his music.

………….This fuckin’ guy………..urbanidiotgraffito………….
    what a moron. seriously…………
    Can u please DIE so the rest of the FZ fans can enjoy something without your negative energy? It’s really super boring.
    ……….fuckin’ loser this guy……….

14. Paul Sempschi says:

For what it’s worth, I partly agree with urbangraffito. The Grammy’s are garbage. Another vile strain of the incestuous popular music business that tried to starve out Captain Beefheart et al. In fact, the only reason Zappa survived was because of good business sense and, well, Europe.

Too little too late.

The only reason this award was given has to do with “image”, now that Zappa’s dead, his music can be chic and harmless… Dweezil and the family also play ball a lot more with re:to all the Hollywoodisms. So do Zappa but not nearly as shamelessly.

I mean, Gail financing Al Gore’s campaign? The website promoting H. Clinton? That must have won them some Grammypoints.

15. schmengy says:

A quote from amicus:

A quote from urbangraffito:

Quite frankly, Dweezil doesn’t deserve this award. It’s not his music.

………….This fuckin’ guy………..urbanidiotgraffito………….
    what a moron.

seriously…………
    ……….fuckin’ loser this guy……….

Instead of harping endlessly about his imaginary grievances,
    UG might get a tattoo or a peircing. That way he could
    show how cool he really is. Maybe grow some dredlocks.!

Or maybe just piss off.

I completely disagree with ZFT’s policies and
    I HATE a couple of the post-mortem releases,
    but good news is good news. If the Grammy for
    Jazz From Hell increased Frank’s revenues, I’m sure
    he wouldn’t have given the money back.

16. jane23 says:

frank zappa wrote the music.
    i love mostly everything thaat frank zappa wrote.
    i love the fact that dweezil won a grammy for frank zappa music.

17. Hugh says:

The song featured Murphy Brock & Steve Vai, so I’m guessing they recieved Grammy Awards as well? I think we can ALL agree that that’s a cool thing!

18. Bálint says:

Urbangraffito: Grammy can also go to someone who is “only” a performer – Steve Vai won his very first one in 1994, lo and behold: for SOFA (FZ’s Universe)

19. Roland says:

Urbangraffito is absolutely negative about everyone, who has not his opinion, i.e. he even cuts people out of the KUR homepage. Poor little bugger he is. Probably no life.

20. Bálint says:
  21. Bálint says:

Here is a picture about the event (I was unable to insert it in the previous post)

22. Sharleena says:

A quote from Roland:

He is entitled to have his own opinion, as well as everybody else. Having a different opinion doesn’t mean being negative necessarily, it just mean that you have a different opinion…

23. Sharleena says:

A quote from Bálint:

Balint, don’t be shy!

24. amicus says:

A quote from Paul Sempschi:

Are you kidding me?…………………..wow

You are as much of asshole as UrbanIdiot

25. Birdman! says:

Elvis won his three grammy records for gospel recordings – he didn’t write any of that shit!!! Then he won a posthumous grammy for “Hound Dog” over 30 years late.

Grammys are worthless artifacts of a corporate circle jerk.

26. Donan says:

C’mon people, everybody is entitled to say what they think, but there’s no reason to be so harsh on urbangraffito! Don’t lower yourself. It shows that your weak. But hey, thats just my opinion.

27. Virgil Proudfoot says:

Why hasn’t anyone pointed out how ravishing Schiela Gonzalez looks in that evening gown? To put it more bluntly, that gal sure cleans up nice.

28. bit of an imposition says:

can this be converted to .mp3 file?

29. peter says:

Cheers to ZpZ. For those dismissive, just remember that it really does work wonders for ones career. I’m sure all the players, including Napoleon, are thrilled.

30. Mike says:

A quote from Alex:

I have never heard anything about this song being a dedication to Dweezil….

The whole of Hot Rats was dedicated to Dweezil.

Of course the song is about a bowl of fruit on a table at some London Hotel. Frank sure didn’t miss any input from his muse, nothing wasted…)

31. Mike says:

To be exact, A bowl of peaches living in the Royal Garden Hotel across the street from the Kensington Market in London.

32. schmengy says:

A quote from amicus:

A quote from Paul Sempschi:

Are you kidding me?…………………..wow

You are as much of asshole as UrbanIdiot

“What does that have to do with my bloody music!?!?”
    Arthur “Two Sheds” Jackson

33. Bob's nurse says:

on behalf of Bob,

I would like to remind everyone that UG actually likes the Plant/Krauss drivel that cleaned-up at this year’s Grammy. Is he merely being the devil’s advocate once again? Are we all falling face down in our pudding cups? And where is Uncle Bernie when we REALLY need his input?

What’s that, Bob?

That’s alright honey. I’ll empty your bedpan now…

34. Harry Barris says:

Let’s not forget that other worthless kiss-ass industry get-together (besides the Grammys), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The only reason Zappa got into that piece of shit was ’cause he died!

Agree 100% with urbangraffito!

35. terje says:

A quote from amicus:

A quote from urbangraffito:

Quite frankly, Dweezil doesn’t deserve this award. It’s not his music.

………….This fuckin’ guy………..urbanidiotgraffito………….
    what a moron.

seriously…………
    ……….fuckin’ loser this guy……….

i prefer more positive energy. like wishing entire villages in africa massacred and babies to be born with aids. c’mon amicus! you’re not “positive” enough!

the grammys and r&rhof suck my ass. neither of those shit filled institutions influence my music listening habits in any way. any crossover between them and me is coincidental.

36. Brenda says: