Persona Non Grata: Adrian Belew Weighs In

With regard to this, here’s what Adrian Belew has to say:

I told dweezil I would try my best to insure he would not see andre. but I put it off and put it off and I want to make this clear: I did not say anything to andre. andre had no idea that he should keep out of dweezil’s sight.

why did I not keep my word to dweezil? andre is a valued member of my crew and a friend. I know how much he loves frank’s music. I could not bring myself to hurt andre’s feeling.

Be sure to read the whole post. Thanks to Joe Crawford for the head’s up.

104 Responses to “Persona Non Grata: Adrian Belew Weighs In”

1. Chuck says:

Poor Adrian, Dweezil should never have asked him to do his bullshit dirty work for him.

Adrian is good guy who seems, by his list of collaborations to be able to get on with people and not need to get petty. Even after his troble with Tina and Chris in the Tom Tom Club, the problems became water under the bridge.

Dweezil needs to stop being a spoiled brat.

2. Kevin Hoover says:

Toxic tiffiness.

3. nbseoriseinbns;ornbs;orisr9494njmgs=- says:

Ok, so please someone help me here and make sure I understand:

Adrian doesn’t tell Andre’ that DZ/ZPZ inc. doesn’t want him on the scene because he (Adrian) “didn’t want to hurt Andre’s feelings.”

Then things get “ugly” meaning Andre’ is almost shoved off stage by a ZPZ employee.

THEN (after all that happened) Adrian Belew STILL went on stage with ZPZ armed with his “harmonica and pitiful Dylan voice” AFTER Andre’ was almost pushed off stage and “banished from watching the show.”

Wow, what a guy! A real mensch that Adrian! Double plus good that Adrian “suddenly felt transported back to my time onstage with Frank.”

well, I guess that makes it all worth it now doesn’t it?

(what the fuck is wrong with people?)

4. Paul Sempschi says:

I agree, Adrien’s playing the fence…

Now that you got me thinking, he does come off as a timid guy who doesnt want to step on ANYONE’S toes and even though he produces situations whereby everyone should be pissed off, he seems like the type of guy who is so passive that no one calls him on it.

Or else, neither party can afford to alienate prominent and participating Zappa alumni…

Oh well, at least Adrien apologized to everyone, which is more than the ZFT ever did.

5. jim says:

Off-topic … & more than a little eerie:

… paging Quentin Robert DeNameland, your services are urgently needed on Earth. Immediately.

We seem to have this rather serious, er, brown-cloud problem … any suggestions?

6. Weirdomusic says:

The funny thing is that one post earlier Adrian writes about some problems in the King Crimon camp that revolve around him too.

What the fuck IS wrong with people? Can’t Dweezil (and the ZFT) just learn to live and let live? Such immaturity. Such pettiness. The entire rude business is quite unbecoming anyone named Zappa (or a Zappa alumni for that matter). In my universe, no Zappa fan is ever persona non grata. Get it, Dweezil? get it…?

8. Chris says:

I don’t know…I’m not really sure that Adrian’s at fault here. It’s possible that he just didn’t want to further the animosity by telling Dweezil to fuck off.

It’s easy for us to sit back and judge and say, “well, if I were in that position, I would’ve told so-and-so to blah blah blah,” etc. The fact of the matter is that Adrian was placed in an awkward situation and made the best possible decision at the time.

9. jane23 says:

Once upon a time about 10 years ago, someone at the ZFT left the Synclavier on all day without turning on the air condition in the room, the Synclavier overheated and got fried to the tune of $4,000 in repairs. Tsk, tsk.

10. vince says:

A quote from jane23:

And, that ‘someone’ was…………………………
    Jean Kirkpatrick!!!

(fill in the blank)

11. Alex says:

Jane – Are you SERIOUS about that?

12. andre says:

well i went on stage and they said they didn t want me there. you know the old dweezil freak
    he was there with his big momma trying to file his guitar pick. i slipped over one of his cords and he said dang you son of cable maker get of my stage . he then called one of them stage masters and they told me not to watch the show. how ever adrian made sure he taped the show for me so i can see what a real professional band an band leader do . you know mom and dad had a lot a challenges and that effected me a lot when i was younger looks like all of that is my own doing since i haven t changed my behavior. I promise that i seek help so i can advance to the next level and be able to unwrap and egg sandwich ………..
    actually i should realize that zappa produced an incredible son with incredible talent and i just don t have that, so i have to constantly spread shit about the Dweezil and the ZFT to fill in my needs ………..and cause problems drawing in more and more professional folks and waist there time ……….

A quote from andre:

well i went on stage

Next time you try to pull off an impression of Andre Cholmondeley and fail miserably at it, please sign with a username that indicates you are in fact, not the “real” Andre. Thanks!

14. Paul Sempschi says:

“Andre” says:

A quote from andre:

Dweezil, is that you?

15. jane23 says:

A quote from Alex:

Jane – Are you SERIOUS about that?

The Synclavier technician in Los Angeles, (Mitch Marcoulier), told me that story and I believe him because he was the guy who repaired it.

16. not the real andre says:

like that 🙂

17. not the real andre says:

no its not Dweezil

18. not the real andre says:

Mitch Marcoulier works for pilgrimms pride chicken 🙂

19. Paul Sempschi says:

A quote from not the real andre:

no its not Dweezil

a piss poor Cholmondeley impression but dead on the arse-end of it.

To Barry: any word yet on the Zappanale situation? a due date? and if they cant settle out of court, what happens next?

20. Alex says:

“Not the real andre” – whoever you are, grow up.

21. not the real andre says: