Lumpy Money reporting:

The Zappa Family Trust will kick off a comprehensive campaign to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the late Frank Zappa’s albums next month. “Lumpy Money,” a three-CD “audio documentary” due out Nov. 25, is the first offering in the series — and, according to Zappa’s widow Gail, the most unique.

“These two records happen to be Frank’s masterworks,” Zappa tells, “so this is the most ambitious of all the (40th anniversary) projects. The challenge is how to educate the audience to understand what ‘Lumpy Gravy’ and ‘We’re Only in It for the Money’ are, and what they’re part of.

Um… okay…

Read all about Lumpy Money here.
Update: related Vanity Fair interview with GZ

50 Responses to “Lumpy Money”

1. Paul says:

Nice. I’m all for this.
    At last a good quality version of the instrumental Lumpy Gravy! Regardless of the quality of the bonus material if the original albums sound as good as Freak Out! was on mofo project/object, I can’t wait. Also really glad, they are releasing them under the real names unlike Mofo. (Hopefully they’ll revisit Absolutely Free sometime too).

Can’t wait to see where this goes.

2. Paul says:

Scratch that about being under the proper names. :/

3. Michael Pabst says:

From the Billboard text:

“The “Lumpy Money” package will feature two separate mixes of each album, done by Frank himself. It will include feature the first official release of the instrumental, Igor Stravinsky-influenced orchestral “ballet” version of “Lumpy Gravy” that Zappa recorded in 1967 for Capitol Records but decided to revamp, adding rock musicians and eventually releasing it on MGM/Verve four months after “We’re Only in it For the Money” in 1968.”

I presume we will get basically the Lumpy Gravy as we all know it + the instrumental version, and WOIFTM the original version + the 80s overdubbed version 🙁

4. lagoonitis says:

Yes, but will we get a beer to go with it?

5. lagoonitis says:

damn. missed it.

Seasonal Ales

Brewed in a bizarre old world tradition using only water, hops, yeast, and malted barley.

No dogs are harmed in our brewing process.

Try the 22 ounce line of seasonals from Lagunitas! Check out the hard to find beers such as Hairy Eyeball Ale, Lagunator, Equinox, Brown Shugga, and whatever else the seasons may bring!

As the four winds shift, we see seasons come and seasons go. It seems these days like people’s tastes shift as often as do the winds. We know for sure that we like to try something new from time to time. Seasonal flavors abound in the many different foods that we enjoy at certain times of the year, so why not with beer? Fall and Winter call for richness and warmth, while Spring and Summer call for crispness and refreshment. So it goes that colder weather calls for Lagunator and Hairy Eyball Ale, while Summer beckons for Golden Equinox Ale and Maximus. Our brewers love the challenge of a new recipe, while our drinkers love the challenge of figuring out what the hell the weird story on the side panel has to do with the beer in the bottle.

January to March 2008
    Lumpy Gravy 22 oz, Kegs

April to June 2008
    We’re Only in it for the Money (Frank
    Zappa’s 4th album) 22 oz, Kegs

6. Brad Henserling says:

Vanity Fair Interview with Gail about Lumpy Money:

Maybe I’m being overly antagonistic, but did anyone else find Gail’s last line about Zappa’s music a little funny in the wake of all the lawsuits and copyright issues? It seems she meant to say “people of your generation (who I employ),” which changes the overall impact of the statement.

That said, much thanks to the ZFT for the new release. Can’t wait to send them more money.

7. Alex says:

This sounds great – a release date and track-listing are all I need at this point.

8. peter says:

Are you going to celebrate the fact Gail hired a PR Agency to communicate or are you going to continue to whine?

9. lagoonitis says:

whine??? me want beer!

10. Matt says:

Wow, I really have to stop reading anything that GZ writes or says. She is such a pompous windbag. It was “heartbreaking” to have to use FZ’s sidemen in ZPZ? I wonder how Bozzio and Vai would respond to that sentiment.

Could she have been anymore condescending to the reporter? You sound like you’re 12? 12 is close to 33? What a snob, especially when spewing her self-important drivel about how victimized and special her generation/demographic was. Spare me, please.

I will buy Lumpy Money, as it sounds like a fantastic project. I’ll just have to remind myself not to read the GZ liner notes.

As long as Lumpy Gravy includes both the Capitol and the Verve versions, I am all for this release, Barry. The Capitol version has always been my favorite of the two. As for We’re Only In It For The Money, I hope they don’t go too overboard with background music, and overdubbed tracks as they did with MOFO (very distracting and barely audible at times, in my opinion). Interviews regarding FZ’s musical process in the creation of these early works would most definitely be a plus.

12. Chuck says:

“The challenge is how to educate the audience to understand what ‘Lumpy Gravy’ and ‘We’re Only in It for the Money’ are, and what they’re part of. “

Anybody else find that a bit patronising? I think with all the versions and mixes floating around, plus different live versions and discussion from FZ himself as fans we haven’t all been floundering for the last 40 years.

Really these look like fantastic releases but really Gail should keep her mouth shut.

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Comment could not be converted to string in /home/zappa/ on line 476