Musicians Play FZ – Part I

Originally conceived as an interruption in the “Son of Tweezer Glint” series for we schmucks who couldn’t make it to Zappanale 20 in Bad Doberan — “Musicians Play FZ – Part I” is the first of a two part series which will run concurrently for the next 4 weeks (my own virtual Zappanale, of sorts, you might say, plucked from my own collection), at which time the “Son of Tweezer Glint” series will resume.

Click here to listen to the mixtape.

This mixtape is for Sharleena (get well, soon) and Barry (while not the real Zappanale, there is always next year amigos).

Note: if we are infringing on anyone’s copyright, contact KUR and we’ll remove the offending material.

12 Responses to “Musicians Play FZ – Part I”

1. Sharleena says:

thanks Urban! I’ll be checking this tomorrow…

2. Disciple of "Bob" says:

I have heard the Gotan Project version of “Chunga’s Revenge” several times as bumper music on my local NPR station, but never knew who it was. Thanks!

3. Roland says:

Tank you urbangraffito, I will try to overcome my aversion towards cover bands and listen to it. Actually I know some already, like Duke/Cobham, Simmons, Duke (solo) and some of Band From Utopia. So far for “aversion towards cover bands” from my side.

Got the picture?

And Preston´s “Help I´m Iraq” is a cracker! 🙂

4. ken duvall says:

The Florida Orchestra is kinda weak…

Sweet mix Urb. Looking forward to Part II 🙂

A quote from Barry’s Imaginary Publisher:

Sweet mix Urb. Looking forward to Part II 🙂

Thanks, Barry. You know I always like to leave the best for last. When writing this post, I made a conscious effort to avoid terms like “tribute” or “cover” bands. Firstly, because not all of the musicians in the mix have performed in a Zappa Tribute Band (i.e. Jean-Luc Ponty, George Duke) while others have only periodically performed Zappa’s compositions publicly since his passing (usually by invitation to particular events, and not an ongoing project). Secondly, even those that have, briefly, toured as groups performing primarily Zappa compositions, certainly have the “chops” to perform not just Zappa, but any compositions they choose. To simply refer to them as members of “tribute” or “cover” bands, in my opinion, paints them unfairly with the same brush used to describe bar bands and touring Beatlemania extravaganzas. Let one of them attempt to perform “Dog Meat”, “Envelopes” or “Holiday In Berlin, Full Blown” (it requires a level of musicianship not all musicians are capable of).

7. Disciple of "Bob" says: