Hey guys ‘n gals! Just wanted to warn you of a new comment-spam technique I’ve come to identify here at KUR. The M.O. goes something like this:
- Spammer picks a random comment from a past post/thread
- Spammer copies said comment
- Spammer pastes said comment to the same post, with a signature link leading to what appears to be a harmless weblog
- Ignorant KUR moderator (moi, that is) approves comment
- Spammer happy!
- Happy spammer turns harmless weblog into dubious link-fest
Lesson to be learned: be aware of “new” comments that already look familiar to you — the author/spammer’s signature link will be a dead giveaway, as their sites all look identical. I’m monitoring this closely so it shouldn’t be much of a problem. Still, if a comment you wrote shows up again, signed by someone else: you’ll know what’s going on. Feel free to contact me when that happens.