Sunday Big Note – Listening Session #1

Over the last few weeks and months, fellow KUR-Meisters, while compiling the various mixtapes for Kill Ugly Radio, I had an idea for an ongoing weekly “listening session” of various artists and groups, both Zappa-related along with his contemporaries, as well as others, from various field recordings, FM radio broadcasts, and internet webcasts.

I brought the idea to Barry who also shared my enthusiasm for a weekly “listening session” and he gave the project an enthusiatic green light. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a near rabid love of recorded live music, so it can pretty much be guaranteed that my contributions to the “Sunday Big Note” listening sessions will be of the “live music” variety. What the other SBN contributors will contribute, though, will be as much a surprise to me as it is to you.

Without further ado, for your listening pleasure, I present The Billy Cobham/George Duke Band at McAlister Auditorium, New Orleans, Louisiana, on February 18th, 1976:

(Unnamed) George Duke Love Song

Stratus

The Billy Cobham/George Duke Band is:

George Duke – Keys
Billy Cobham – Drums
Alphonso Johnson – Bass
John Scofield – Guitar

9 Responses to “Sunday Big Note – Listening Session #1”

1. Balint says:

Thanks for this, Urb – the quality is real good, must be an FM recording or so, right?

one side note: let me sugest an online mp3-player, the reason I like it that it plays the songs after each other, so one might have a nice concert-experience at home without touching the machine in the meantime – here it is. The “multi” version can play multiple songs, and its really easy to use. Hm?

2. austinnate says:

Great post and a wonderful suggestion balint!

3. Mezcalhead says:

Hey is that Bolin on guitar?

A quote from Balint:

Yes, this was a FM broadcast, Balint. One of my favourites by The Billy Cobham/George Duke Band. This concert really brought out the talents of each individual player, and you could tell they were quite at ease playing with one another. I especially enjoyed Duke’s version of “Uncle Remus”. I don’t think I’ve heard him perform it as well live as he did here during this show and broadcast.

Thanks, also, for the heads up regarding the “online mp3-player”. I see your point, especially in regards to having “a nice concert-experience at home without touching the machine in the meantime”. I’ll bring it up with Barry before the next session. It’s also our aim to have these listening sessions archived so anyone can listen to them at anytime for any reason whatsoever. It might take a bit of time to iron out all the kinks involved.

5. radioboy says:

Wow that’s John Scofield on guitar, one of his first serious bands. And he plays Zappa-music! I spoke to Sco once and he was quite distant about FZ’s music and guitar playing…. Cool!

6. Rob says:

A quote from Rob:

It might take a bit of time to iron out all the kinks involved.

Hmmm…where have we heard this before? (insert winking happy face thingy here).
    Good idea! Looking forward to hearing some quality music. I’ve been revisiting my late 60′s-early 70′s collection lately and must say, I still prefer most anything pre-74 to what’s out there now. But, then again, I’m old and in the way…

A quote from Rob:

A quote from urbangraffito:

It might take a bit of time to iron out all the kinks involved.

Hmmm…where have we heard this before? (insert winking happy face thingy here).

Argh, matey! Them kinks me speaks of ironing out of are all of the technical variety. In any case, come hell or high water, or nasty squalls, you can bet your Baltimore Whores come Sunday they be a sea chanty or pirate dirge to tap your ole wooden leg to Rob! (insert sly winking happy face thingy here).

8. jonnybutter2 says:

Great stuff, UG. A lot of ‘fusion’ music can sound humorless and prolix. Not this. You just can’t beat George Duke (in particular) in the 70s. I like the other players too, but Dukey is just such a stand out.

9. Paul says:

Great ideal.Awesome music!I will look forward to this.Maybe throw in some Return To Forever.Thanks

Comments for this entry have been closed.