Immaculate Voodoo Butter Mix – Part I

You name it, this KUR mix has it all: keyboard solos, synth solos, drum solos, sax solos, bass solos, trumpet and trombone solos, and, of course, lots of guitar solos – those hypnotically esoteric air sculptures of Frank Zappa‘s which so often levitated his listener into altered states of audio consciousness (albeit all too briefly so) that only a handful of his contemporaries could accomplish to any degree.

Don’t dare skip a single track in Part One of what I call the ‘Immaculate Voodoo Butter Mix‘, 121 various soundboard recordings between the years of 1975 and 1984. Part One will remain posted until April 15, 2010.

Now, let’s put on our headphones-to-oblivion boys and girls and prepare to sniff…

Click here to listen to the mix.

26 Responses to “Immaculate Voodoo Butter Mix – Part I”

1. Bob says:

It’s come to this…

…after years of speculating what type of music would become the MUZAK played to soothe the masses of “my generation” as we while away our last days in nursing homes, I was delighted by a recent experience. I was enjoying a pina colada flavored pudding cup at a Florida retirement community tiki bar and grooving to the tunes of a rather eclectic mix in the background. Hungry Freaks, Daddy! There it was in all its kazoo band splender. A little nostalgia for the old folks.

And yes, kids, I am truly an old fuck, but I did not spill my pudding cup. Shelley would be proud…

2. Alex says:

That’s kind of awesome…if it’s a true story.

3. Mark M says:

Nice mix. Really diggin the 75 band, there’s not enough of that lineup out there

4. Hugh says:

Hmm . . . this mix looks very scenty! I think, headphones & a neckbrace are in order for this one.
    Let me try out the Wipe Out panties first before I get . . . J-E-S-U-S, my neck. Ouch!
    This mix should have a warning label! Ha.

5. barbbsson says:

These mixes are excellent!
    ONLY on KUR.

6. centralscrew10iser says:

Barry,

Afew liitle heard morsels worth a look are the early to mid 70s Who are the brain police & any downers solos. Hope you might search them out for the mext edition of this mix series

7. Bob says:

A quote from Alex:

…if it’s a true story.

of course it’s true, professor. Well, except for the part about not spilling.

I did.

Not pretty.

Sorry Shelley…

8. Thinman says:

Does the whole 1980 Frankfurt show have this energy level like the CR opener? Wow!

Th.

A quote from Thinman:

Th.

Yes, Thinman. The entire “Festhalle, Frankfurt, West Germany, 2 Jul 1980” show has the same energy level as the “Chunga’s Revenge” opener. In fact, all the shows in Part One do, which is why I chose them (a reminder of why I love Frank’s music so much: it’s high energy). While the audio quality may vary from track to track, the high energy does not waver, and neither does the audience’s enthusiasm…

10. jonnybutter says:

Great to hear the raw version of ‘Drowning Witch’ from the Ritz show. That first guitar solo, most of which was used on the album, is just fucking KILLER. A favorite. As Frank said, ‘music can get you pretty fucked up’. That solo makes me a little high.

11. Dark Clothes says:

Is Al di Meola playing on the tracks from the Ritz?

12. Dark Clothes says:

This is an excellent mix, with some particularly amazing cuts from the Ritz in 1981. The Thunes/Wackerman rhythm section never sounded better (or even as good again). I checked FZshows, and Naurin says that Al di Meola was a guest at this show, but apparently not during the selections presented here.

A quote from Dark Clothes:

Is Al di Meola playing on the tracks from the Ritz?

A quote from Dark Clothes:

Dark Clothes, Al di Meola came onstage for the second encore of the “The Ritz, NYC, 17 Nov 1981” show after “Strictly Genteel” to perform the world premiere of “Clownz On Velvet” followed by Christopher Cross’ “Ride Like The Wind” (both tracks, and others, will appear in the final installment of this mix – so watch out). As amplifiers were in short supply, FZ had to unplug his guitar so that Al di Meola could plug his in.

14. Hugh says:

A quote from Dark Clothes:

Is Al di Meola playing on the tracks from the Ritz?

Another great Italian, AL DIMEOLA!
    If you’d like to see some pics I took of that show, check out Tom & Nadine’s great site The Circular Motion:
    Just search the ’81 tour & look for the pic icon under 1981 11 17!
    Check out Al’s python boots, maybe he wanted to play ‘Stink Foot’?

15. Thinman says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

… Al di Meola came onstage for the second encore of the “The Ritz, NYC, 17 Nov 1981” show after “Strictly Genteel” to perform the world premiere of “Clownz On Velvet”

Hasn’t a recording of just this performance been actually used on Thingfish?

Th.

16. Bob says:

begin – @@@inappropriate post alert@@@

truly great photos!

@@@inappropriate post alert@@@ – end

17. Hugh says:

Thanks Bob! I get a cheap thrill whenever UrbanG includes a show I’ve attended in one of his most excellent mixes. The Ritz was one of the best & I love sharing those shots. Wish I had more.

UrbanG, check out ‘If Only She Woulda’ 1980 04 27 Bethlehem, PA. My first FZ show! I can still picture Tommy Mars & Arthur Barrow (on Keys/Bass Pedal, ala Ray Manzarek) doing a ‘Doors’ vamp while Frank brakes out a 10 minute guitar solo!
    Maybe Immaculate Voodoo Butter Mix Part 2 worthy?

18. Dark Clothes says: