Boston Music Hall, 1976 (Early Show)

If you are still teetering on the fence wondering whether or not to pre-order Philly ’76 (Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, PA, 29 October 1976) featuring Frank Zappa, Terry Bozzio, Ray White, Patrick O’Hearn, Eddie Jobson and Bianca Thornton, here are five excellent reasons to do so plucked from their Boston Music Hall performance on 24 October 1976 (Early Show):

Dirty Love

Wind Up Workin’ In A Gas Station

The Torture Never Stops

You Didn’t Try To Call Me

Black Napkins

10 Responses to “Boston Music Hall, 1976 (Early Show)”

1. Hugh says:

You’ve sold me! Nice preview, UrbanG. Thanks.

All the tracks above have something special to offer, but of course I can’t recall ever hearing a singer (Bianca) heckle a heckler with ” Tell yer mama to take off HER clothes and suck a Rat’s Dick!” (my vote for “come-back” of the century). And then proceed to give a spectacular performance!

2. Jamez says:

A quote from Hugh:

You’ve sold me! Nice preview, UrbanG. Thanks.

Anyone know what Bianca’s doing these days?

3. Balint says:

well – she’s Queen of the blues – see the lates post! :-)

A quote from Jamez:

A quote from Hugh:

You’ve sold me! Nice preview, UrbanG. Thanks.

Anyone know what Bianca’s doing these days?

If you click on Lady Bianca’s name in this post, the link will bring you to a weblog that outlines her career up to the present, with samples of her work throughout her career (unfortunately, no Zappa, though).

5. Thinman says:

It’s me, the grumbler, again.

Those Bianca-vocals seem like an alien element – not only on this recording but for FZ’s complete catalog.

Th.

6. Jamez says:

A quote from Balint:

well – she’s Queen of the blues – see the lates post! :-)

Thanks for that! I’m starting to get into more Blues stuff nowadays.

7. Jamez says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

A quote from Jamez:

A quote from Hugh:

You’ve sold me! Nice preview, UrbanG. Thanks.

Anyone know what Bianca’s doing these days?

Good to hear she worked with Sly Stone too.

8. jonnybutter says:

I think she sounds pretty good – very good, actually – on ‘Dirty Love’.

A quote from Thinman:

It’s me, the grumbler, again.

Th.

I can see your point Thinman. It was obviously an experiment on Zappa’s part to hear what his lyrics and compositions sounded like via Bianca’s bluesy style. Would FZ fans want to hear his entire catalog sung through a female voice? I don’t know. For me, the time Bianca was with Zappa was special, and left us with some very unique covers of classic Zappa songs. I especially like her jazzy scat-type vocals on Black Napkins, myself.

10. Thinman says:

My observation is: FZ didn’t release much from this line-up (except for the augmented ZINY concerts), the previous line-up, Grand- and Petite Wazoo tours, etc. So he might have realized that these tours didn’t generate much release-able material. And having heard and being in possession of most of what the ZFT released from these tours posthumously – I think FZ was right.

Th.

Comments for this entry have been closed.