Tuesday Mix: FZ in the 80s

Admittedly, there are some Frank Zappa fans who do not enjoy his 80s material quite as much as his music which came out of the 60s and 70s. That said, I really enjoyed compiling this mix together. At first, I thought I wouldn’t have enough tracks, yet, as you will soon see for yourself, Frank Zappa’s 80s set lists were just as varied as those from any other era of his career, and just as intriguing, both musically and satirically.

Click here to listen to the mixtape.

I’d like to thank our webmaster, Barry, for his help in uploading the larger tracks of this mixtape. Thanks.

Update 03/06: Added some Sinister Footwear to the Mix…

Note: If any of the tracks infringe on someone else’s copyright, let us know and we’ll remove them.

38 Responses to “Tuesday Mix: FZ in the 80s”

1. Bรกlint says:

I love the 80s… Huh, this on is loooong! Urbangraffito, you are my Joe Travers!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

2. Harry Barris says:

“Admittedly, there are some Frank Zappa fans who do not enjoy his 80s material quite as much as his music which came out of the 60s and 70s.”

You got me there, UrbanG.!

(wasn’t Ancient Armaments recorded in ’78?)

3. potatohead Peccary says:

I love the Zappa from the 80’s. Thanks

4. Robert says:

Yes! Here’s another one of the rare breed of 80s-FZ-afficionados! Thanks a lot for this!! Can’t get enough Drowning Witch versions anyway, and this version in particular kicks butt.

5. punknaynowned says:

I like this!
    thanx fer the word on the existence of this opentape.
    I will use it.
    great and varied selection of material UG!
    surprised no synclavier or orchestra pieces like in Berkeley.
    I do enjoy these extended playlists as evidenced here that aren’t in a regular setlist lineup,in toto, but do go on for hours.

6. A Tinseltown Aficionado says:

,,,but add Marqueson’s Kitchen please! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. LRonHoover says:

JESUS THINKS YOU’RE A JERK

best track on here – if only frank could’ve witnessed the past 8 years.

8. metafunj says:

one of the things I dislike about the 80s tours is that there are often a lot of covers that don’t fit the zappa sound like “johny darling” and “the closer you are.” Others like “stairway” were better adapted to fit the sound of the band. Also many of the songs from “YAWYI” album don’t have much room for variation and are pretty simple and sometimes have spoken parts that get boring after hearing them a lot like “mudd club” and “Dumb all over”

Also Franks chops started to go on the guitar for the 84/88 tours and the sometimes stale rhythm sections didnt’ seem to inspire such great outings as on previous tours. We’re only in it for the polyrhythms!

9. SOFA - Philostopher/Chef says:

Meta! Long Time, Dude!

A quote from metafunj:

Aw Man, c’mon… Those ‘covers’, and their harmonics, helped shape the PO; they’re an integral; part of FZ’s compositions… What I liked best about the ’84 band (and Frank did also, if you believe his interviews), was that they could DO Doo-wop
    But then, I’m a vocalist – of course I love that band…
    I can’t help but wonder, Barry: what’s the difference between an excellent mixtape like this, and the Friday Boots?
    Enlighten me please?

A quote from SOFA – Philostopher/Chef:

Enlighten me please?

Urbangraffito has been doing an excellent job compiling mixes. The Friday Boots hardly ever were compilations; they consisted of a full “field recording”, once a week, warts ‘n all. Oh, and of course you can’t download Urb’s mixtapes ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. Robert says: