Useful Hint Of The Day

KUR reader Mark H. writes in:

Just a little suggestion a friend of mine made about GZ and the ZFT… he says we should cease refering to her as GZ or Gail Zappa and in a petty manner that she deserves she becomes simply “Sloatman”. Try it, it feels good and adds a nice level of disassociation to Frank Zappa. I’m finding I am enjoying his music again… bad taste removed from mouth.

Sloatman. Sloat…man… I’m off to listen to Roxy & Elsewhere!

25 Responses to “Useful Hint Of The Day”

Isn’t that going a little far? She was his wife after all, and the mother of his children. She remained with him during the long years of marriage, the separations (due to touring, and long hours in the UMRK), and the infidelities (it wasn’t an open marriage as some suggest). And exactly how many Zappa fans were there with him during his darkest hours of the soul when the cancer which had begun in his prostate riddled his entire body? Who cleaned up his piss and shit and puke? Gail did.

Gail Zappa.

Not Sloatman. She earned that name. It is petty to attempt to disassociate her from her husband. I may disagree with her, and how she conducts her business affairs (that’s my opinion), but they are her business affairs to conduct, after all, not mine.

I will enjoy Frank Zappa’s music regardless of whether Gail Zappa runs her business into the ground by alienating every last Zappa fan on the planet. It’s about the music itself and the larger community who enjoy it. We need not attack or vilify anyone to accomplish this.

Now I’m off to listen to my muxtape, http://urbangraffito.muxtape.com:

Frogg Cafe:

Viva Zappa:

*Mr. Green Genes

Avalon All Stars:

*Advanced Romance
    *Watermelon In Easter Hay

Bogus Pomp:

*The Torture Never Stops (1995 Studio Demo)

Warren Cuccurullo:

*Thanks to Frank

2. Bob Again says:

I took your lead, Barry boy, and looked up some Roxy video on slewtube. Nice stuff. Fun to watch. Surely placed there by sloatman to keep the chatter up. Chatter, chatter, chatter…

…goodnight sloatman, wherever you are!

3. Roland says:

How about “Frank Zappa´s widow” or just simply “The widow”?
    Hm, wasn´t there a film in the 70´s called “Deep Sloat”?

Amendments:

Replacing Frogg Cafe> Don ‘Sugarcane’ Harris:

*Liz Pineapple Wonderful
    *Song for My Father

Replacing Viva Zappa & Project Object> The Tubes:

*What Do You Want From Life?
    *Smoke (La Vie En Fumer)

5. Roland says:

@urbangraffitto: “Who cleaned up his piss and shit and puke? Gail did.” – Well, how do you know? Have you been there at this time? Are you getting weak, urban? Think of Eva Braun.

6. Jamez says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

Amendments:

Replacing Frogg Cafe> Don ‘Sugarcane’ Harris:

*Liz Pineapple Wonderful
    *Song for My Father

Replacing Viva Zappa & Project Object> The Tubes:

*What Do You Want From Life?
    *Smoke (La Vie En Fumer)

Are the Tubes ever gonna release a new album? I’d buy it in a second!

A quote from Roland:

Weak? Are you equating Gail Zappa with Eva Braun, Roland? That is rather nasty and unnecessary and I really don’t see the analogy you are making, because to extend that analogy, you know exactly who you are aligning FZ with don’t you?

Of course, I wasn’t there in Laurel Canyon when FZ died, but one doesn’t need to be a brain surgeon to figure out who cared for him: his family, first and foremost, and his wife, primarily.

Perhaps it’s my Catholic upbringing (or mind-f#%king) but I need not vilify a person or persons because I disagree with them, or because they’ve injured a friend of mine with their antics.

To do so reflects more upon us as a community don’t you think? Aren’t we above that sort of thing? Or are we just as petty?

A quote from Jamez:

A quote from urbangraffito:

Are the Tubes ever gonna release a new album? I’d buy it in a second!

Have you bought/heard The Tubes Wild West Show – DVD (2005) and Wild In London – CD (2005)?

9. Roland says:

@urbangraffito: Well, I meant that it is not necessary the wife, who does the dirty part of the job. A bit far fetched and easily misunderstandable. I didn´t want to align FZ with Hitler. Sorry ´bout this!

We’re talking about a surname people, lighten up.
    Nice example of Godwin’s Law though, I must say!

11. bernard says:

Ok, that’s a find.

However my idea was that FZ was about overlooking, i e thinking beyond pigeon holes like this.

12. O'Hoho Heehee says: