Today’s Headline: ZFT vs Arf Society

Der Spiegel, on the day of the ZFT vs Arf Society/Zappanale trial:
Mother Of Intervention: Zappa Festival Defends Itself from… Zappa.

Quoth Goil Zeepee:

“One of the reasons you file a trademark is to protect the works of a person,” Gail Zappa told SPIEGEL ONLINE in a telephone interview. “I felt we were getting into territory where we were putting the audience at risk in terms of who Frank was. You become concerned.”

Thomas Dippel:

Dippel says that the Zappanale has long tried to get the kind of official rubber stamp that Gail Zappa insists is available. He claims that letters have been sent and that Zappanale people even met with Gail in Amsterdam at the beginning of the 1990s. He also says that he invited the Zappa family — including Gail, Dweezil and Moon — to an unveiling of a Zappa statue that now graces Bad Doberan.

Gail — who refers to the statue as an “impish creature” that “doesn’t look like Frank Zappa unless you argue that putting a moustache on any face looks like Frank Zappa” — says that very little communication has taken place with the Zappanale.

I guess you know where our sympathies lie, right?

59 Responses to “Today’s Headline: ZFT vs Arf Society”

1. Roland says:

“One of the reasons you file a trademark is to protect the works of a person” (Widow of Frank Zappa)

„You can have my gun when you can pry it loose from my cold, dead hand“ (Charlton Heston)

2. Bob Again says:

Nowaday’s a woman’s got to hit a man.

Oh and for those interested to know the verdict: a decision is expected within about three months. I’m quite curious to see the outcome of this…

A quote from Roland:

“You either survive your parents or you kill them.” (urbangraffito)

5. Roland says:

@urbangraffito: How many versions of “The Idiot Bastard Son” are there again? 😉

A quote from Roland:

@urbangraffito: How many versions of “The Idiot Bastard Son” are there again? 😉

Altogether or just related to this post?

7. Paul Sempschi says:

hmm, rather than writing another 10 page tirade against Gail, anyone want to say what Frank thought about the festival? or did he not think anything of it? or was he begrudgingly accepting of the festival?

8. Freon P. Sandoz says:

Hmmm. I thought Frank was dead about 5 years prior to the first festival, but I never particularly gave a fuck about math, which I always thought voting was a waste of time.

9. Freon P. Sandoz says:

is why

is what’s missing from my last post.

Along with compassion, understanding, empathy, and giving a shit.

Gail doesn’t even suck. She sues. Fuck her, Sempschi. No one else will.

10. Roland says:

@urbangraffito: Sorry, that remark should have been a joke. It was meant into the direction of “You either survive your parents or you kill them.” and the ZFT, i.e. the sons of Frank Zappa.

A quote from Paul Sempschi:

As I recall, Frank didn’t much care one way or other concerning the festival. His entire reaction to hearing about a bunch of German fans putting on a festival in honor of his music was to laugh and then move on to the next subject at hand…In his lifetime, to Frank at least, it was always about the music…with Gail, on the other hand, since Frank’s death, it’s always been about money (money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money….)

12. Sharleena says:

A quote from Freon P. Sandoz:

Actually, the festival started in 1990, three years before Zappa’s decease happened (take a look here http://www.en.zappanale.de/index_en.html under the menu “Retrospects”). He was aware of the existence of the Arf-Society and the festival existence.

From http://www.united-mutations.com/ :

“In the meantime,

German correspondent B.W.says:

Hello there…

appearantly things don’t go too well for Gail in court. A decision from the Landgericht Düsseldorf will take at least 3 months and so far the judge has said that the Zappa logo and the zappanale logo are quite clearly two different things which people will not confuse. Also the judge pointed out that the ZFT knew all along over the last 18 years that the Zappanale festival took place and did nothing against it.

There only seems to be a slim chance for the ZFT to win this case.

let’s hope that B.W. is right… “

13. Roland says:

BRAVO to the arguments of the Landgericht Düsseldorf !

14. Clinton Morgan says:

Surely the Zappanale aren’t violating trademark law with their moustache logo? Last time I checked it had a bird in flight look to it which is different to the Matt Groening (I think) designed logo that the ZFT uses. I hope the arf society bring that up and the Dali cover of Zappa Wazoo that somebody else on here mentioned. “Call Andre Cholmondeley!”

Basically, Goil Zeepee is telling the general public that us dumb-ass Zappa fans might get confused when confronted with Zappanale’s logo, seeing as how its conceptual designers had the unmitigated audacity to depict an Imperial moustache — much like the one FZ sported.

Comedy Gold.