Zappa Plays Zappa: European Tourdates

Zappa Plays Zappa

I’m probably the last to find out — blame it on too much work and a faulty car-battery at 7pm out in the freezing cold — but the ZFT now has a page up with all the (European) tourdates for Zappa Plays Zappa.

Sidenote: am I the only one who thinks the “Accept No Substitute” slogan is a bit of a snide remark at the address of all the “unofficial” tribute bands that have been keeping Frank’s music alive all these years? Maybe that car-battery just got me in a bad mood…

11 Responses to “Zappa Plays Zappa: European Tourdates”

1. bernard says:

I’ll drop by there in Brussels.
    By the way – I remember – when their father performed in Vorst Nationaal , he made his entry saying : ” Hi folks in this ugly fucking building”.

We’ll meet there then, Bernard! I’ll be the one wearing an “I’m KUR’s Head Honcho”-badge (it’s a big badge, yes). You’ll be the one wearing an “I’m A Frequent KUR Commenter” T-shirt. :)

3. abe says:

oh i hope they head to america soon after the european tour. c’mon dweez and ahmet! and bring stevie with you.

4. xorg says:

Yep – it is a reference to their claim to be the only ones with a legitimate claim to FZ’s legacy. Technically, they’re right but morally the ZFT have a lot to answer for. They owe the tribute bands and websites such as KUR a lot. And I have a suspicion that Dweezil and Ahmet might have been motivated as much by the fact that their own careers have been in the doldrums recently. Otherwise, why wait till now to do this?

Indeed, one can’t but wonder about the absence of American dates (at this time of writing). I guess it’s safe to say FZ has always had a bigger European following (when compared to US fandom). Question is, is this still the case? The ZFT seems to think so…

(oh, and xorg: my faulty-car-battery-induced thoughts exactly) ;)

7. Bob Again says:

Barry, I just replaced my car battery to see if my mood would improve. I haven’t felt any change, yet. It must be the ZFT.
    Oh yeah, and if they think they have more fans outside ths U.S., why do they make it so fucking difficult and expensive for you folks to purchase their shit?
    I just can’t stop ranting. Sorry…

Try replacing the carburator!

9. Bob Again says:

Done. I’m feeling much better now. Funny how a stuck butterfly valve messes with a guy’s mind. I almost thought I was gay, or maybe even a cowboy.

10. Dr Sharleena says:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

11. Frank B says:

“Save your money, don’t go to the show”
    Here is the reaseon for the european dates:
    Money!
    The only one who can play original is the original.
    No one else.
    Even some “DNA”Advertisment does not work, because the circumstances in the live from the composer create a special feeling for his music and the way he will play and act. Thats the fingerprint.
    If you like to hear Frank Zappa, put a record from
    him on! (Sorry for my worst english)