December 1979/October 1987 – DVD released 1999
- Baby Snakes Rehearsal
- “This Is The Show They Never See”
- Baby Snakes
- Bruce Bickford/ “Disco Outfreakage”
- The Poodle Lecture
- “She Said”/City Of Tiny Lites
- New York’s Finest Crazy Person
- “The Way The Air Smells…”
- Pound – Bass & Kybds Solo
- “In You” Rap/Dedication
- Managua/ Police Car/ Drum Solo
- Disco Boy
- “Give People Somewhere To Xscape Thru”
- King Kong/Roy’s Halloween Gas Mask
- Bobby Brown Goes Down
- Conehead/”All You Need To Know”
- I’m So Cute/”Entertainment All The Way
- Titties ‘N Beer/”Audience Participation”/The Black Page #2 & “The Dance Contest”
- Jones Crusher
- Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
- Punky’s Whips
- “Thank You”/ Dinah-Moe Humm
- Camarillo Brillo/Muffin Man
- San Ber’dino
- Black Napkins
- New York’s Finest #2 & Credits
- “Good Night”
2 thoughts on “Baby Snakes (DVD)”
Me: Hey, kid, here, put THIS in your PlayStation2 – heh heh heh – I wanna see if it’ll cry.
Kid: (runs away screaming)
Me: Goddamn little rug-chimp!
Wowabunga Dude! If I’d known this would include an actual pair of all-cardboard NO-D GLASSES, made in, er, uhh, a room somewhere, I’d’ve definitely scarfed it up earlier.
The “Department Of Entertainment Security” tweak-prelude is hella sweet also: every viewing will leave me wonderin’ what the Secret Password is!
A mighty ferocious offering – more than 2 & 1/2 hours – of which a LOT is live Zappaphonics, including big sizzling heaps of utterly surreal claymation via the weird mind & hands of Bruce Bickford.
The band is not prone to the jam/improv predilections of the early-70s; whether that’s a plus is purely subjective – I can pout or rejoice or both, being a Freaque & all that cal. The mutations of “Gas Mask” & “San Ber’dino” are among the most satisfying to my own Central Optionalizer. There’s also enough offstage mugging & banter to quench the sick twisted needs of a marginalia-fetishist, well, more or less.
Anyone that saw 200 MOTELS & thought it was a hunk of steaming goat-smegma due to the nature of its alleged “plot” can relax – it’s just a concert DVD – no, really! Trust me!
FZ was indeed whipping it out more than a mite hot here. Ya just don’t fully grok what an awesome motherfucker he was on guitar until ya see him rather casually shaking paws with the oh-so-friendly, oh-so-maniacal front row NYC Crazy People … (D’huh?!! Didn’t Bino just about get CAPPED by a psycho fan at a gig some time earlier? I call that Cojones Grande!) … DURING HIS SOLO.
I have a feeling we’re not in Milli-Vanilli-Ville any more, Toto!
Awesome movie! My favourite part is ‘Black Page#2’ with some of the audience dancing around the stage and ‘King Kong’.
Comments are closed.