ZAPPATiKA! – Strictly Frankly

Everyone knows I’m always game for fresh new covers of Frank Zappa music, no matter the source, so when Zap Mcinnes of ZAPPATiKA! sent KUR an edited mix (ready for streaming) as a sort of belated Xmas present of their December 18th, 2010 performance at the QBUS Concert Hall, in Leiden, Holland, The Netherlands, where they headlined an event called The Ultimate Rock Party – along with Okham’s Razor who tackled the Stones catalog and Bald As Love, a no-hair Hendrix tribute act – performing 100% Zappa, I was thrilled to hear it.

As Mcinnes told me in an email regarding the Strictly Frankly CD made available last August during Zappanale, these versions are “of a considerably better quality than that initial release and features newer arrangements”.

Here are some of my personally edited highlights:

My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Momma

The Slime/Wonderful Wino

City of Tiny Lites (Air Guitar Contest)

Cosmik Debris

Black Napkins/Muffin Man

If these tracks appeal to you, download the entire mix here (link expires 15 Jan 2011).

Tracklist:
Dirty Love
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Momma
The Slime
Wonderful Wino
Carlos Santana Variations
City of Tiny Lites (Air Guitar contest)
Titties ’n Beer
Broken Hearts are for Assholes
Cozmik Debris
The Torture Never Stops
Whipping Post
Black Napkins
Muffin Man

6 Responses to “ZAPPATiKA! – Strictly Frankly”

1. Nowski says:

Hmm. Not very good, I’m afraid. I’m The Slime is especially awful. Sorry.

2. Dimaension X says:

Here’s a cover of a solo – my interpretation of the guitar solo from INCA Roads.

3. zappafreak says:

A quote from zappafreak:

Hmm. Not very good, I’m afraid. I’m The Slime is especially awful. Sorry.

i dunno, it ain’t the same as an FZ album at home of course,but i kicked back last night (with a JD) and quite enjoyed this show on my headphones…thought the band was pretty tight,nice atmosphere,guitars,fun,even a contest- but then ,that’s just me,i guess…thanks for posting the download

A quote from Nowski:

Hmm. Not very good, I’m afraid. I’m The Slime is especially awful. Sorry.

A quote from zappafreak:

A quote from urbangraffito:

Hmm. Not very good, I’m afraid. I’m The Slime is especially awful. Sorry.

To each his own. Not everyone is going to like or enjoy everything that every cover or tribute band does, ZAPPATiKA! included. This band does have their moments, and they definitely know how to make FZ fun for an audience (which I suspect is an audience that doesn’t care too much about the correct notes). That said, there’s a lot of room in the ocean for Mud Sharks, Yellow Sharks, and ZAPPATiKAs to swim and frolic…

5. mtiberio says:

Must say I thought the vocals were flat and nasal.

6. Hans says:

A non-expiring link to the whole thing on my blog here:

O, and Okham’s Razot did not do a Stones set after all. The bass player used his four string to emulate the yodeling in the Dutch prog rock classic Hocus Pocus.

Comments for this entry have been closed.