Best FZ Covers – Panzerballett

Panzerballett is one of the most interesting and totally eclectic bands that I have had the joy of coming across in recent memory. Music critics call their sound “an innovative mixture of jazz, funk and metal, crossing complex polyrhythms with metal guitar riffing, funky grooves and jazz improvisation.” Like the best work of 1970s Brecker Brothers combined with hints of Return To Forever and Funkadelic‘s Maggot Brain, Panzerballett has created a unique heavy metal/ funk/ jazz fusion hybrid of their own design. In doing so, they’ve created Zappa covers just as unique.

In the above video, Panzerballett performs “Zappa Medley From Hell – Part I” at the Jazz Club Neue Tonne, Dresden, Germany, on October 4th, 2010.

From Panzerballett‘s 2009 album, ‘Hart Genossen Von Abba Bis Zappa(Hard Comrades from Abba to Zappa):

Zappa Medley From Hell – Part I

Zappa Medley From Hell – Part II

The Band:

Jan Zehrfeld – guitar
Joe Doblhofer – guitar
Alexander v. Hagke – sax
Heiko Jung – bass
Sebastian Lanser – drums

7 Responses to “Best FZ Covers – Panzerballett”

“Hart genossen” = “thoroughly enjoyed” I think. These guys are good though :)

2. robin says:

really nice group and music! this to me is relevant music instead of the nostalgion of Dweezil and the Recycle-Consort.

New music is the best!

3. Robert says:

These guys are brilliant. Taking FZ’s work and creating something new and unique from it is as close to FZ’s legacy as it can get.

4. Dark Clothes says:

I like the first medley a lot – it’s well played, precise and original. Let’s make the water turn black!

5. John says:

Finally a descend tribute to the great FRANK!

A quote from Barry’s Imaginary Publisher:

“Hart genossen” = “thoroughly enjoyed” I think. These guys are good though :)

I’ll accept your translation, Barry. Sometimes my computer translator comes up with strange translations, indeed. (-;

7. Robert says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

A quote from Barry’s Imaginary Publisher:

“Hart genossen” = “thoroughly enjoyed” I think. These guys are good though :)

How about “strenuously enjoyed”? Better reflects that playing FZ’s music is a strenuous but rewarding exercise.

Comments for this entry have been closed.