Zomby Woof By Quasar

Ardent devotees of the music of our time, the Quasar saxophone quartet is dedicated to premiering and promoting contemporary music that is multi-dimensionally conceived. Celebrated for its energy, audacity and exceptional technical ability, Quasar explores different aspects of artistic creation from instrumental music to live electronics, from improvisation to instrumental theatre. Quasar received two OPUS prizes.

It seems they also have a cover version of The Black Page.

17 Responses to “Zomby Woof By Quasar”

1. jonnybutter says:

thanks Balint. These guys are good!

2. Harry Barris says:

Anything with a baritone sax has got to be good!

A quote from Harry Barris:

Anything with a baritone sax has got to be good!

Not always, Harry Barris. There is always something problematic when a group of musicians attempt to pull off a composition of this complexity with only reed instruments. I mean, they seem to competing with each other for the lead at times. Methinks the heart of the problem here lies in how this composition was initially arranged for four reeds. Ed Palermo would have arranged it quite differently (having become a near expert at arranging reeds within Zappa’s complex compositions). As it is, in my opinion, Quasar’s version of Zomby Woof for four reeds comes off quite flat because whomever arranged it never set each reed instrument apart for it’s strength and it’s weakness – which is what ultimately sets one arrangement apart from another.

4. jonnybutter says:

The only problem I have with the arrangement is the wrong notes – in the arrangement, not the playing. Being an obsessive fan, wrong notes sound very glaring, but then again, Zappa himself sometimes let mistakes get through in re-arrangements sometimes, so…

5. Theydon Bois says:

A quote from jonnybutter:

Do you have any examples of when this happened? It’s not that I don’t believe you, but none are springing to mind (or none that I could confidently call “mistakes”, rather than deliberate changes, anyway).

Pleasant recent discovery (sort of on topic I hope): Swedish band Bohuslän Big Band. If you have access to Spotify, check out this album!

7. Paul Sempschi says:

A quote from Theydon Bois:

A quote from jonnybutter:

I think there’s a split second edit-error in the Weasel’s version of “My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama”… the intro of the acoustic guitar solo.

A quote from Barry’s Imaginary Publisher:

They sound very interesting, Barry. But, as per usual, Spotify is unavailable in Canada. Something to do with us not going along with Draconian copyright laws like the US and much of Europe has already done (we are still the home of many torrent and P2P sites). Seems as though the Big Corporations will only allow you to share music as long as they can get a bite of you along the way. If you don’t play by their rules – no access. It might take a little longer, but I’ll get myself a taste of Bohuslän Big Band Plays Zappa. You’ve peaked my interest. Thanks. Btw, the reviews I’ve read for it are very positive.

A quote from urbangraffito:

Oh but there are ways around that (Spotify’s “unavailable” in Belgium too). I’ll drop you a note on that.

10. jonnybutter says: