Gail On Huffington Post

It would appear that Gail Zappa now writes for the Huffington Post these days as “Writer, Art Director, Provocateur”. Take-away quote:

But I digress. As usual.

41 Responses to “Gail On Huffington Post”

I wonder what would happen if Gail happened to have a bona fide idea of her own, I mean, a personal revelation or epiphany that had nothing to do with her late husband. Would her skull explode from the sheer pressure of it all? It seems whenever her mouth opens, it’s the very same sounds that come out…

But I digress. As usual.

2. felsnaptha says:

Yea. I agree to a point.

But, try to imagine living with
    Frank for a whole lifetime being
    a fan. (I’m sure Gail is a fan).

You an I quote Franks ideas once in
    a while in our everyday conversation.
    I know I do.

Now, try to imagine living with
    Frank for decades and NOT absorbing
    his clever, creative syntax.

I’m cool with Gail. She ain’t Frank but neither
    am I.

Are you?

3. Bob says:

A quote from felsnaptha:

She ain’t Frank but neither
    am I.

Are you?

I’m Bob, and you’re not.

A quote from felsnaptha:

Now, try to imagine living with
    Frank for decades and NOT absorbing
    his clever, creative syntax.

I’m cool with Gail. She ain’t Frank but neither
    am I.

Are you?

It’s one thing to absorb FZ’s clever, creative syntax – yet Gail’s consistent Zappa-speak almost borders on plagiarism.

5. Jamez says:

A quote from urbangraffito:

A quote from felsnaptha:

Now, try to imagine living with
    Frank for decades and NOT absorbing
    his clever, creative syntax.

I’m cool with Gail. She ain’t Frank but neither
    am I.

Are you?

It DOES sound like she’s mimicing Frank in this article.

6. Alex says:

GZ: “it is now possible for more experimentation at a less expensive rate than having to hire a room full of orchestra to hear what it is the guy with the checkbook thinks you are doing.”

Wasn’t this FZ’s dream come true? Wasn’t this the promise and the joy of the Synclavier?

And with all those buttons to push and knobs to turn to administrate the frequential flow it makes it possible for everyone to be in the composing business. Oops! Just when it seemed that it was all good news a little flip of the switch makes it very bad – and even a little ugly on the side.

Ok, so why is the possibility of ‘everyone to be in the composing business’ (HA–as if) such a bad thing? Is it the competition? Certainly GZ’s ol pal “the free market system” is a gatekeeper enough–or do we need a chosen ‘parent culture’ made of corporate music pricks to ‘administrate’ that as well?

Turns out that the concept [of copyrights] comes along with the concept of Freedom and all the rest of the stuff that is built into the Constitution of the United States of America – and other countries.

This has probably gone over, but could a helpful reader please show the where in the Constitution of the United States (and other countries) the word ‘copyright’ can be found?

Such traditions as football may be tied to the morale of a country but music and all the other arts and sciences are its life blood. Find a place without music and you will find a dictatorship. Find one with state-sponsored, authorized music and you will find fascism.

What about corporate-sponsored, authorized music. What do you find there? Freedom? Liberty? Originality? The fountain of youth?

Some believe the future of music is the future of spectacle – for that is what music is starring as these days. We know the show will go on. And on and on. Everything will be homogenized and recycled and well-lit.

Spectacle…like a giant projection of Himself for the band to play along with?
    Homogenized…like all the ‘chance’ taken out?
    recycled…like lets take some music that has already been done definitively and, uh, do it again “with unexpected perfection?”
    Well lit…so the DVD(s) will look good?

If nothing else, when GZ speaks, you can’t help but wish FZ was still alive (which for all we know is yet another marketing ploy…)

Lastly, how long before FZ’s music is considered one of the ‘war horses” played by orchestras, marching bands and the like?

7. jonnybutter says:

When Frank wrote something, there usually (not always) was little doubt about what he meant, and the style was called ‘idiosyncratic’. When Gail writes, it’s just kind of incoherent. I really don’t know what the hell she is saying in this post…

8. Paul Sempschi says:

A quote from felsnaptha:

Now, try to imagine living with
    Frank for decades and NOT absorbing
    his clever, creative syntax.

sounds parasitic

9. basharoni says:

Frank is good-Gail is bad-Diva is single-Moon is a mother-Laura has kids-Ahmet paints Kermits-ZPZ is on tour – its cold in norway -rice is cheap in Japan -soon there be an other Oktoberfest- have a good day 🙂

A quote from jonnybutter:

That is exactly the feeling I was left with, having read the article.

11. P-Rip says: