A Well Kept Secret: Richard Thompson

Well hello there! We’re back from a most refreshing vacation in the greater London area. While there, our host Magic Fingers introduced me to a fantastic musician: Richard Thompson.

Prior, I had heard some minor radio hits of his — genre “I Feel So Good”, “Misunderstood”, “Crawl Back” and, notably, Thompson’s Britney Spears cover Oops, I Did It Again.

Tip of the iceberg.

The way this guy plays masters the guitar is just unbelievable.
No effects — nothing but Naked Fender:

Thompson started out as part of the legendary English band Fairport Convention, but went his own way soon thereafter. He is I guess, to that formation, what Neil Young is to CSN&Y.

One fantastic musician. Do check out his tunes if you hadn’t already.

Wait — I’m preaching to the choir, right?

13 Responses to “A Well Kept Secret: Richard Thompson”

1. Birdman! says:

Uh, not really. Pros — where are the three best places to start loving Richard Thompson?

2. dfan says:

I wouldn’t make this recommendation to most crowds, but for Zappa fans the best introduction might be Live, Love, Larf & Loaf by French Frith Kaiser Thompson, a supergroup of Thompson and three experimental musicians (including Drumbo from Captain Beefheart’s Magic Band!) having a ton of fun.

3. Hugh says:

I always admire someone who can sing & play guitar simultaneously. And RT is definitely a stand out. Does miss his version of Joni Mitchell’s Woodstock on the link above. I love that song. Richard’s performance was spectacular. It gave me the chills.

French Frith Kaiser Thompson sounds cool. I’ll have to check that out. Thanks dfan.

4. P-Rip says:

Is this performance on DVD?

5. Dirk Laforce says:

The best to start is the 3 CD set: Watching the dark – The History of Richard Thompson. If you can still find it…

6. Matt says:

I saw RT live this past June–solo acoustic gig in Kent, Ohio. Excellent.

Another good starting point is the 2-CD set You? Me? Us?, which is half-electric and half-acoustic.

Good suggestions all. I’ll add “Semi-Detached Mock Tudor Live” to the bunch — if only for the epic 12:31 minute guitar-solo that is “Hard On Me”. You can only buy this one from RT’s site though.

8. Sterbus says:

Don’t forget he was also a song-writer… this one is one of the best, and he was only 16 years old…

A quote from Sterbus:

Ah, “Meet on the Ledge”. I’m told every Fairport Convention concert ends with this tune. Didn’t know RT wrote this at the tender age of 16 though.

A quote from P-Rip:

Is this performance on DVD?

P-Rip: I *think* the above YT video is a compilation of the “Semi-Detached Mock Tudor Live” DVD. So yes…

11. peter says:

Without a doubt the starting point is he and ex-wife Linda’s “I want to see the bright lights tonight.” Unfortunately, RT’s all guitar no vocals “strict tempo” has been out of print for years and years.

12. P-Rip says:

Two years ago, I bought “Sweet Warrior”, which was his latest. Thsi was my first real exposure to Richard Thompson. A review at the time said it was a good overview of his style, even though it was more on the electric side. I think the reviwer said you would be satisfied if you were a log-time fan or a newbie. With any artist that has been around for a long time and had various styles, it is hard to know where to start. Sometimes I like to start with current releases and work backwards as I learn more about them.

13. Bunk Strutts says:

Richard & Linda Thompson’s “Shoot Out the Lights” is my pick. “Wall of Death” is one of my favorites.

Comments for this entry have been closed.