Echidna’s Arf (Of You): Piano Version

Have a little patience while the guy Ian Tanner wrestles his way through Village Of The Sun first, then… check it out:

Far from Not perfect, yet really impressive. I mean: would you have the balls to record yourself having a go at — of all FZ’s tunes — Echidna’s Arf (Of You), and then put it on YouTube for everyone to see?

48 Responses to “Echidna’s Arf (Of You): Piano Version”

1. Sterbus says:

Yes, I find it quite impressive and in the end is a very good job. Vocals are also clean and with the right timing! I liked Village, and even if Echidna’s arf is really hard it flows well, and I also like the piano rendition of the guitar solo at 4:15….

2. Roland says:

VERY impressive – I like it Barry. The perfect example of how alive FZ´s music is in the living-rooms of our world. This one made my day – thanks Barry.

Wouldn´t this be a nice competition on KUR, private people play FZ´s music (PPPZ), no professionals please.

3. Sterbus says:

I do an acoustic version of Regyptian Strut, but I’ve never recorded it…

A quote from Roland:

Wouldn’t this be a nice competition on KUR, private people play FZ´s music (PPPZ), no professionals please.

Sounds like a grand idea… does anyone else beside Sterbus (and Roland?) feel like playing along?

5. Roland says:

Oooops, I can only play “Louie Louie” on the ukulele and this isn´t even a real FZ tune. Plus, I hardly can´t sing and play at the same time, yet. But when it comes down to it, I would do my best! 😉

6. Robert says:

A quote from Roland:

Lucky dude. I can *neither* sing *nor* play any FZ tune for anybody else than myself.

7. Roland says:

Robert, there´s nothing better than to sing “Uncle Remus” lying in hot water in the bathtub. I am a star in my bathroom! 😉

8. Tim says:

Nice job, guy. A+.

He also gets bonus points for having the transcription book to Tarkus on his piano.

9. Sterbus says:

A quote from Tim:

Nice job, guy. A+.

True! Why not show the front cover? Do FZ fans hate ELP fans? (yes, they do 🙂 )

10. Harry Barris says:

That’s one funky, tubby, keyboard-thumping geek! Heavy rendition even on that crappy piano! Dweezil pick up the phone and make the call!

(This reminds me how one time i was in a hotel lounge somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and the guy who’s paid to provide the “cocktail background music” starts playing the piano intro to Firth Of Fifth; i immediately ran over and complimented him–which made him keep playing more early Genesis–the management wasn’t pleased, and eventually the guy was fired.)

11. Kevin Hoover says:

I wanted it to keep going, into DYEWTT?, which I always think of as part of as an inseparable part of Echidna anyway.

Frank would be proud.

12. tombo says:

I liked it. If there would be anything (just anything) I could do half as good as this guy plays the piano … well, cooking maybe … anyways. Nice video!

13. Bálint says:

A quote from Roland:

I’M IN!!! I have 2 stupid tries on guitar! 🙂

On the other hand: I REALLY liked this one above!! Thanks for playing it – thanks for posting it!

14. Hugh says:

Ian’s version of Echidna is kick ass! I admire his abilities.
    Keep it up Mr. Tanner, you have found your audience

A quote from Roland:

And the acoustics are great in the bathroom. I recorded my first cover tune singing into the toilet. No shit. Just be careful with the video camera in the tub, Roland (if you chose this setting for your piece). 🙂

A quote from Roland:

That sounds like fun. I might be tempted to make a fool of myself for the sake of (hopefully)entertaining you guys.

15. Bálint says:

Barry, you evil person, how can you say it’s “far from perfect”? Grrr! 😉
    Now listenning to it again I’ve enjoyed each and every minute. This is MUSIC: when someone LIKES and knows the music he plays. Thanks (anyway), Barry – thanks Ian! 🙂
    And a big YES again for PPPZ!

16. Mike P says:

Fucking awesome. This guy’s my new hero.

Amazing. Enthusiastic.

George Duke would be proud.

18. C-H says:

Brilliant – he really captures the groove and feel of the music, so the fact that the notes aren’t 100% fades into insignificance. Good singing voice too.

I can sort of busk my way through Uncle Remus on the piano and some of the more power chord oriented numbers on guitar. I’ve been trying to play Zoot Allures but my fingers just aren’t long and flexible enough.

19. Plooker says:

Makes me want to throw my piano off a bridge, great video.

My 8 year old sings a funny version of “Eddie are you Kidding” (our cats are named Flo and Eddie). He drags the poor cat around by the neck and sings it to him. Maybe I can talk him into it.

20. svoytrfl says:

Life is good, made my day!!!

There is a dog, arf.