Alice Cooper Group — Sun Arise (Live) & Black JuJu (Studio)

Some music listeners (born after the 1970s) don’t understand the early appeal of the original Alice Cooper Group. They had a unique sound and image (which like all great rock ‘n roll mortified our parents) that was very appealing to those of us born in the 1960s and were obviously quite cynical about just about everything that came out of that decade (hippies metamorphosing into yuppies). Yet listening to Love It To Death (first issued on Straight Records), one can still hear the sound of the band which Frank Zappa originally signed before Warner Brothers completely morphed them into the mainstream (leading to the original band’s eventual demise). The first clip, Sun Arise (Live), is somewhat choppy, but rare footage. The second, Black JuJu (Studio Version) is the one track I always recommend to anyone wanting to explore the true, real sound of The Alice Cooper Group (before Vincent Damon Furnier took on the band’s nom de plume as his own, and the self-parodying that followed the band’s break up).

11 Responses to “Alice Cooper Group — Sun Arise (Live) & Black JuJu (Studio)”

1. Jamez says:

Garage Rock ex excelsis! Also like Alice’s solo work though, Urbangraffito.

Certainly, Jamez, Alice Cooper had a lot of commercial success as a solo artist, still producing interesting work — if somewhat self-parodying at times — such as The Last Temptation and Along Came A Spider; but it’s that early sound that always draws me back again and again. If people just listened to a Greatest Hits collection, which too often is the case, some really fantastic tracks get overlooked.

3. Paul Sempschi says:

I agree, early Alice is far too over-looked.

Especially the first two albums, which come off as something from System of a Down with harmonies… trust me, it’s better than it would seem.

If you liked those links, here’s a charming little outtake/demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRWMIHEBofY&feature=related

4. Jeroen says:

Very educating trhread. Thank you!!

5. SOFA - Philostopher/Chef says:

I recall insisting that my first band play “Ballad of Dwight Frye” from LITD, after their insistence on playing “Under My Wheels” from Killer – as I didn’t want to do ‘pop’ Alice, but REAL Alice.
    Heh-heh. I believe we also performed “Be My Lover”…
    And it’s funny that I should recall this, as I – and that first band – really sucked and I had successfully – until now – blocked that time from my memory.
    Thanks a LOT, ug ; )

6. Michael Pabst says:

Alice Cooper is important to me because I was born in the 60s. Killer is one of my all time favourites and on my regular playlist.

All the albums by the original Alice Cooper band (from Pretties For You up to – and including – Muscle Of Love) are of important significance in the history of rock music.

But the nucleus of their work are Love It To Death and Killer i.m.o.

M.

7. SOFA - Philostopher/Chef says:

Muscle of Love is one of my Alice favs! I don’t know the details, but I know Alice was approached to write the theme for the next 007 film at that time – Man with the Golden Gun – after Lord Paul did so well with Live & Let Die.
    It was a good track, would have made an excellent theme, but it didn’t get used. Anyone know why not?

8. Michael Pabst says: