Joe’s Menage — Update from the Zappa Family Trust

Apparently, the folks over at Vaulternative Records have heard the rising voices of Zappa fandom and have decided to put out a press release with all the relevant and necessary information regarding Joe’s Menage (as well as Gail’s take on the whole Corsaga series) including tracklist, musicians involved, and location of performance. Better late than never, I say, and a welcome change of direction, Gail.

Straight talk. I dig it, baby.

60 Responses to “Joe’s Menage — Update from the Zappa Family Trust”

1. Paul says:

Sounds good…

Now that’s what I call communication. Good job.

3. Bálint says:

Yes! Information is not knowledge – though it helps a lot! 🙂 thanks!

4. Virgil Proudfoot says:

I guess this is on Vaulternative instead of the Zappa label since it’s a fragment, not a whole show. Maybe the original reels were lost, & this is all that survives.

5. LRonHoover says:

i didn’t even think twice – $22? long live rock…

on the bigger topic of Gail & Co & over-all strategy – what’s the plan? there’s some sort of conflict within me over the heavy-handed tactics used to squash other FZ outlets, but it’s tough to complainbecause they continue to do releases, and it’s encouraging that the pace seems to be fairly reasonable – 2-3 a year or thereabouts?

and it’s probably unfair of me to characterize their position using the word “squash”, so i’ll readily concede that if confronted. i just wish there was a bit more pragmatism. i think that the cultish aspect of FZ fans requires a slightly different approach than a “normal” musical-outfit, and that it should include letting the fans riff off on frank’s work by playing it and having tribute concerts and such.

not sure exactly where i stand on the P/O band though, and others who make their living off of playing the catalog. alumni also complicate the question further. it seems only fair though that they should maybe kick back a portion towards the creator. i mean how fair would it be if your landscapers used stolen trucks? when you’re in business for yourself (and musicians fall into this category i think), you gott pay for your tools and shop and the things that make your business tick. i now invite you to flame me like a red-headed step-child.

6. Paul says:

Huh, they just took down the tracklisting. lmfao.

7. Jake St. Vitus says:

Did anyone get a screen capture of the tracklist? I was also disheartened when I found no musicians, no tracklist, no length. I’d like to know if I am buying another 34 minute CD! I’ll still buy it, I just want to know first.

8. The holy grail says:

before the rest disappears…

Zappa Family Trust

Click artist name above for photos and more info.
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    September 29, 2008 Printable Version

Vaulternative Records Releases Frank Zappa’s ‘Joe’s Menage’ Friday, Sept 26

Corsaga Series Continues With Previously Unreleased 1975 Concert

“A Thrilling Example From A Less Documented Lineup” – Gail Zappa

Vaulternative Records has announced the Friday, September 26, 2008 release of the concert CD ‘Joe’s Menage,’ continuing the Zappa Family Trust’s mission to celebrate and protect the legacy of Frank Zappa. ‘Joe’s Menage’ was recorded in concert at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA on November 1, 1975. This is all previously unreleased material.

‘Joe’s Menage’ continues the Corsaga series, with prior releases ‘Joe’s Corsage,’ ‘Joe’s Domage,’ and ‘Joe’s Xmasage’ currently available. “While it is the Zappa Family Trust’s mission to celebrate and protect the legacy, many of its releases, particularly the Corsaga, are meant to educate the listener and to give them an inside view of Frank Zappa’s working process and other aspects of his creativity,” said Gail Zappa, who heads the Trust.

The album first germinated when Frank Zappa gave friendly fan Ole Lysgaard several cassette tapes, including this one, in 1978. In 2004, Lysgaard sent the tapes to Gail Zappa and she decided to release the 1975 music, which was restored and mastered by John Polito.

The album is available exclusively via mail order at Zappa.com.

Frank Zappa, American composer, was born in 1940 and died in 1993.

For more information on the Zappa Family Trust, please contact Nick
    Loss-Eaton [nlosseaton@shorefire.com] or Matt Hanks [mhanks@shorefire.com]
    at Shore Fire Media: 718.522.7171.

A quote from Jake St. Vitus:

Tracklist and players @ KUR’s FZ discog. No details on length yet…

10. emdebe says:

Also see the Mighty Wiki: http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/index.php?title=Joe%27s_Menage&diff=29500&oldid=29482

11. P-Rip says:

Los Angeles Times Interview with Gail: “Frank Zappa’s widow protects his legacy.” “http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-ca-zappa21-2008sep21,0,5110786.story”

Who knows what Frank told Gail privately, but publicly, I think he strongly indicated that he had no interest in protecting his legacy after he was gone. To me, this has always been about “keepin’ the bucks rollin’ in.” And also more than a bit about identity. That is, what is Gail Zappa without Frank Zappa? What has she done on her own? “Working for a dead guy” seems….I dunno….pathetic?

12. xorg says:

Only available from zappa.com…
    So when they add on the handling and shipping charges it will cost me (in the UK) 31.21 USD of 17.62 GBP. Dunno if it’s worth it for part of a concert which has been regenerated from a 30 year old cassette tape, especially given the poor quality of most of the ‘Joe’s Bollocks’ series.

I await further advice from KUR!

13. The holy grail says:

oh look. here’s the rest of the press release!

While the concert is anchored by Frank Zappa’s guitar and vocals, the other performers on ‘Joe’s Menage’ represent an unusual lineup for Zappa. Norma Jean Bell contributes alto saxophone and vocals. Longtime Zappa sideman Napoleon Murphy Brock plays tenor saxophone and sings; Andre Lewis plays keyboards and sings; former Mother of Invention member Roy Estrada lends bass and vocals; and Terry Bozzio drums. (Bozzio and Brock have played with Dweezil Zappa as well.)

The album is available exclusively via mail order at Zappa.com.

Frank Zappa, American composer, was born in 1940 and died in 1993.

‘Joe’s Menage’ Track Listing:
    1. Honey, Don’t You Want a Man Like Me?
    2. The Illinois ***** Bandit
    3. Carolina Hard-Core Ecstacy
    4. Lonely Little Girl
    5. Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance
    6. What’s The Ugliest Part of Your Body?
    7. Chunga’s Revenge
    8. Zoot Allures

14. Alex says:

Hmm…between FZ:OZ and The Eyes Of Osaka sounds like these tracks by this lineup (minus Norma) are already out and available.

Under-documented my ass.

Still waiting for DVD’s of Roxy, 200 Motels, and Uncle Meat. Wake me up when that happens…

15. mild mannered moggio says:

It doesn’t get me excited. If it was the Emuuuka ’75 orchestral stuff – that would get me all a twiddle like a girl on Wet T-Shirt Nite.

🙂

16. myth says:

so what’s all this stuff about a vault, if you gotta rely on some guy named ole to send you a tape? the vault is a myth.

17. Roscoe Bledsoe says:

Can’t say fer sure obviously, but this probably has crappy sound, since FZ parted with the tapes in the first place (cassettes!), and that it’s part of the “Joe’s” series.

“Joe’s Menage”: that’s another stupid name.

(I’ll be continuing my personal ZFT boycott.)

Maybe Tipper will like this one.

Firstly, what is it with these people? First the info is there, then it is not? I really try to give Gail and the ZFT the benefit of the doubt, Barry, but this is fucking ridiculous! Did someone overstep their authority by releasing the tracklist?

Secondly, is there really a Zappa fan alive that needs to be educated by the likes of Gail and the Gang? Given all the field recordings and outtakes I’ve accumulated over the past 4 decades, I think I have my own personal, and ever changing insight into FZ’s creative process, and do not require a posthumous series to do that for me.

And speaking of the Corsaga series, the piecemeal release of this series smacks quite heavily of money grubbing if you ask me. It should have been released as one multi-disc title (perhaps then it’s obvious flaws could be more easily overlooked), and therefore a far more inexpensive hit to the fan’s pocketbook (paying postage, shipping and handling just once).

Still, again and again, Gail and the ZFT decide to piss on we Zappa fans from their lofty heights (their corporate boardroom), while day by day it is obvious that the best material has already been released. KUR readers should stick to celebrating that achievement, and leave the ZFT to release whatever retreaded tracks they so choose.

19. myth says: